Topic

Coleman 1Lb Propane tank to Primus Omnilite adapter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Coleman 1Lb Propane tank to Primus Omnilite adapter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I have tons of 1Lb Coleman propane tanks,m I use for car camping, now that I have a Primus OmniLITE Tirm stove, thinking if I can ditch them bulky Coleman single burner stove and take Omnilite for car camping.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yes, you can, BUT …
    You will need (you must have) a pressure reducing valve on the propane tank. These are obtainable.

Cheers

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Does that stove use the normal isobutane canisters? If so, I picked up an adapter off the bay to use my profane canisters with my small stoves.
    Duane

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Thanks Roger, could you please point me to the adapter and pressure reducer your are talking about.

Duane: yes the stove is multifuel capable.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

This is what you need: Kovea LPG adapter

I have one I got off ebay. Bulletproof.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Thanks for the link. Does the adapter also functions as pressure reducer like what Roger mentioned above?

j lan

@justaddfuel

Yes, it has a small screw on the side if you need to adjust the pressure at all, works fine for me without adjusting though.

I have a primus omnifuel himalaya model (pre-heat tube and all)

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Looks like the adapter is not available on ebay anymore.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

yeah… I can't seem to find it anywhere. Probably a liability issue :(

j lan

@justaddfuel

I bought mine about 1.5 months ago. It comes and goes. I think it is shipped directly from the manufacturer in korea. Mine got here fast and is amazing quality. This is the seller http://myworld.ebay.com/chovin

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

There is no Kovea made adapter, the closest they have is something which weighs (35gms) and manufactured by some company called G Works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-WORKS-LPG-MULTI-GAS-ADAPTER-35g-SUPER-LIGHTNESS-DURALUMIN-NEW-/130820030351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e757b3f8f

j lan

@justaddfuel

Hi Yes, What I am telling you is that is not currently on sale on ebay. I had this same problem when I was looking for mine. After a week or two the seller I referenced above had them for sale again. You could always try messaging them. I would not trust an aluminum adapter like you posted because the propane threads are steel, I think it will strip easily. The kovea is steel.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

That's the adapter I got, last Spring or so. Don't mess with that screw, high quality, very nice, great as a collectible on your desk too it you don't use it I would think. It won't work with my MSR Super Fly, but my other tiny canister stoves is fine. Not UL for sure, you could use that little thing as a weapon.
    Duane

Miles Spathelf
    BPL Member

@miless

I would have to disagree about the aluminum adapter "easily" being stripped. I've used plastic connectors to lpg tanks (grills, heaters, campers, etc) for most of my life and I've never stripped any of those.

edit for spelling

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

The Original Kovea adapter was like 90gms of steel and the one selling the ebay site is 35gms and made of some sort for Aluminum alloy.

Now anyone can tell that Steel is stronger than Aluminum, but with everything from automobile engines to Gun parts (except the Barrel) being made from Aluminum I wonder if it will be still okay to use this adapter.

My plan is to use 1Lb propane bottles which can be purchased for less than $5 per pair from Walmart and use it for winter camping fuel where I anyways plan to drag everything in a sled. No hassles of liquid fuel and obviously cheaper than 4 season canister mix and some since there is more fuel one can make hot tea/cocoa/coffee any number of times which is the ultimate luxury in winter camping.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

FWIW, I have a review of the Kovea Propane Adapter on my blog.

Mine works fine, but there have been some reports of the pin on a stove not being long enough to depress the internal valve within the adapter. Sounds like Duane's is working OK though, and mine has had no problems.

I see it's still listed on Kovea's website.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools