Topic

Material for waterproof booties

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Material for waterproof booties

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I am looking to make waterproof booties for winter hiking. These could either be used as part of a VBL system or as an outer covering. At this point I do not want it breathable.

My first attempt had very mixed results. I made up two sets of .8 cuben fiber booties, the thinking being that I would wear one a VBL and the second as the most outer layer. The concept worked great but the cuben wore holes after about 15 miles even with an outer sock to protectit from abrasion.

So I'm in search of a new fabric to try rev 2. What fabric do you recommend that would be both lightweight ( not feel like I'm wearing neoprene) and have much greater durability than Cuben?

PS. Yes, I know all about Rocky Goretex socks.

Jean-Francois Jobin
    BPL Member

@jfjobin

Integral designs VB still available in MEC (canada)and why not put cothing of polyurethane re-waterproof floor tent on both side of your old paire of rocky sock delamineted.If you try it ,tell me if it's work.
    do my best with english

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Will be silicone impregnated nylon. Hopefully will have them for next weekend.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools