Topic

Montbell UL Spiral Long#1 vs WM Alpinlte Long

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Montbell UL Spiral Long#1 vs WM Alpinlte Long

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I purchased the Montbell bag but was wondering if anyone has experience with both bags. I own a WM Megalite and love it but am really impressed with this Montbell bag although I haven't used as of yet. I am a cold sleeper. The specs are similar with the Montbell bag having 23 oz of down fill and the Alpinlite 21 oz. The MB bag weighs 2 more ozs. Again anyone have experience with these two bags or a WM Versalite which I am also interested in.
    Thanks for weighing in.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

How about the Versalite?

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Anybody?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I own 2 MB bags and have fondled various WM bags. I probably would have bought the WM Summerlite but hated its hideous red color (yes, subjective, of course). In any case, my MB UL down No. 3 is also a wonderful bag that I find true to its temp rating.

For me, both brands are winners. I wouldn't fret over which brand to buy — it's hard to lose, either way.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Hi Bill, I will offer my 2 cents. First, there are a lot of personal factors that make one bag better than another for any particular person. For me, the 59 inch girth of the WM ultralite is too small and restrictive. The 64 inch girth of the Megalite is too big and hence cold. The Versalite at 62 inch girth fits just right, but is frequently more bag than is needed. Really what I want is a 62 inch girth bag with about 16 oz of down. Unfortunately no such thing seems to be available.

I have an older MB 3# and like the stretch feature because it keeps the down close to the body. Its sort of a variable girth except better cause it stays close to the whole body. There used to be a large weight penalty for the stretch feature but it looks like they have pared that down to the point it is worthwhile. I expect the MB will be a great bag for the temperatures it is intended for. If they ever get around to making a #2 bag again I may have to give that a try.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I LOVE my versalite.

Owned FF bags, a Marmot Helium.. etc . this is / has been my favorite bag !

warm enough, when it's cold outside .. cool enough ( e.g. totally unzipped ) when it's warmer outside.

And, ( subjectively) I love the color

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools