Topic

Foam pad question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    joe tittiger
    Spectator

@tittiger

Locale: on the road

This looked like the best place to post a question but please excuse me and direct me to the proper place if there is a better place to post general questions in this forum.

I just wanted some input on the relative comfort levels and warmth of say a 3/8" REI blue foanm pad at 7 oz verses a Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite – Short at 3/4" and 11 oz.

It has been 20 years since I have used closed cell foam pads and have been spoiled of late by heavy self inflating pads.

Thanks for your input.
    [email protected]

Joe

Neil Bender

@nebender

Initially the Z-rest will be more comfortable, but the bumps flatten out over time. The ridge rest seems to keep it's "loft" longer, but doesn't fold up as compact as your two choices. The z-rest is nice in that it doesn't try to roll up on you. Neither of your choices will give you the back support that a self inflater will, but will be more useful at breaks as a sit pad, and are not subject to puncture damage. I would guess both are about as warm. I like to add a small piece of soft open cell eggcrate packing foam to fill in the small of my back (or waist when I side sleep). It's not as comfortable as a self inflator, but for me it helps get to a reasonable comfort level, particularly the first night.

joe tittiger
    Spectator

@tittiger

Locale: on the road

Thanks for the quick reply Neil.

Given my druthers I would order the 10 oz self inflator sold on this site but unfortunatley it is not available for another month or 2.

Joe

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I recently posted some comments on another thread about sleeping pads, about the Gossamer Gear 1/8" ThinLight with GG NightLight and/or BMW TorsoLite. But since the discussion was about insulation, not comfort, I didn't say anything about that aspect. Truth is, I don't get a good night's sleep on thin pads any more, even with Excedrin PM and Aleve. I found my Z-Rest to be slightly less comfortable than the GG NightLight because I squashed it flat. But even the BMW TorsoLite wasn't comfortable on hard-packed dirt. I recently picked up an OR/Exped DownMat 7 Short, a thick down-filled inflatable mat. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on how well it works, but I'm hoping it makes it possible to sleep through the night again.

I prefer my hammock. That's always comfortable.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

When it comes to foam pads, I would strongly recommend going with a pad made from Evazote foam such as the gossamer gear nightlight. It will provide more warmth / weight than any other foam pad and will be more durable. Personally, I think there isn't a significant different in comfort given equiv thickness of foam pads.

Of course, I haven't met a foam pad comfortable enjoy to give me a good night sleep. I strongly recommend insulated air mattresses such as the BA Insulated Air Core. Warmth/weight is almost as good as an evazote pad, packs much more compactly, and significantly more comfortable to sleep on. A few more thought on my Recommended Sleep Systems [Pads] page.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Joe, For 3 season comfort on rocky terrain, I use the MontBell 180cm inflatable mattress; for softer ground, the MB UL mattress and pillow. The 120cm version is lighter, wider, longer, and cheaper than the torsolite you considered waiting for. Just a thought.
    https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1106&hinban=1124275
    Pair it with a GossamerGear Thinlight for the lightest inflatable/solid mattress pairing.

Or consider their 180 Camp, at 1.5 inches thick.

I was not aware of the POE Uberlight, at 10 ounces(!). Certainly lighter, and also smaller at about 630 square inches compared to 700 square inches for the 90cm MB pad. The concept with the MB pads is to toggle the pad to your pillow and sit pad to make a full length pad. If you don't want/need that, the Uberlight looks amazing.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

POE uberlite is under 10 oz…still lighter than either the Montbell or BPL pads.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Nunatak Luna Pad

Very light at 7.5oz according to Nunatak (No reason to doubt them).

More comfortable than my Ridgerest pad. Only negative is that it is rather bulky, it usually ends up underneath the top flap of my pack.

Nunatak Luna Pad

PS
    Great sites you have MarkV, I have pulled great info from them for years. I remember as a teen drooling over the Cloudwalker gear and not being able to afford it.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Christopher,

I believe that the Nunatak Luna Pad is the same as the Gossamer Gear 3/4 length Nightlight Sleeping Pad. They differ slightly in the reported weights of 7.5oz vs. 7.8 to 8.2oz. But I believe they are the same though more expensive through Nunatak at $30 and $27 for the Gossamer Gear. My Nightlight weighs 7.8oz. This is the Gossamer Gear link:

http://tinyurl.com/8whqu

Rich

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

If it's been 20 years since you've used a foam pad, you won't be happy going back to one. Get an inflatable, it's worth the extra weight. I'm thrilled with my Insulmat Max Thermo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools