Topic

Sporks SUCK!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sporks SUCK!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Sorry, but my Ti spork is one of my favorite pieces of gear…one utensil to rule them all…it handles mac and cheese with ease, cous-cous pilaf with aplomb, it has the means to shovel beans and can spin the hair of angels (as in pasta).

I love my spork!

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

I lose sleep over this one…. ;-)

It's either my ti long handled spoon (StS), short handled StS Ti spoon, or the good old McFlurry spoon….

zero sporks.

…and let's not forget the SPLADE!…spoon and blade combined.

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

…so we all know of 'spooning' with partners….

…is there such a thing as 'sporking'?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I eat everything with a spoon, and I do mean spaghetti, steak, …. and all those other things that people think they need tines for.

Just takes a little practice/unlearning.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Making chopsticks from sticks is really not too hard of a skill to learn if your spoon ever fails you. I know, I know all you spork users camp above treeline, while us lowly spoon users are at the KOA!

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

My Light My Fire spork broke off while trying to scoop up thick oatmeal.
    You need to be gentle with them!

I also find them hard to pack due to their odd shape.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Given that I use the Freezer Bag Cooking method, anything with a point sucks since it can puncture the bottom of the bag and cause leakage. Thats why, for the past 4 years, I use a long handled Titanium Spoon that weights 0.4oz. Being a long handle, it reaches easily into the bottom of the bag without worries of getting food on my hand. Being metal, I don't worry about it breaking when using it in a jar of peanut butter.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm a spooner, not a sporker.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Years ago I made the first TI Long Handle Spoon:

Then BPL came out with a long handle spoon made from the idea (I have two that Ryan gave me). BPL sold them for a couple of years and then they showed up at REI.

I use one of my BPL versions almost everyday and it still looks like new.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I favor a long-handled spoon which is good for nearly everything except noodles, but I do like rice noodles when camping. :)

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

Ork

I have one of these: Rare as hen's teeth, they don't make them anymore… (Filzer)
    It solves the issue many have of the fork tines reducing the spooniness of the utensil.
    Best of both worlds…

http://www.filzer.com/products.php?id=12

Orkoon

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Thoughts:

The Freezer Bag cooking method is so much more plastic-intensive than anything else, you might as well buy stock in landfill liners.

Arguments against the almighty spork are intolerable and heretic.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sporks first appeared in our middle school(junior high) cafeteria. Not good at either task. But a superior launching mechanism for green peas.

Spoons forever!

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

You're not supposed to throw away your trash. That's why burn barrels where invented.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

@ sporks….

MMMMMeh.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Like many, I bought a spork early in my backpacking career thinking I needed one. While it wasn't the best trail utensil, it has become my designated travel cutlery. I keep it in my everyday backpack, use it at work, etc. it's better than a spoon for handling steak.

@jason- sporking is a code word my wife and I have used for years. Can't remember how it started anymore.

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

For me it's simple. If I'm not planning on eating pasta, a spoon is the most pleasant utensil to use. If I'm planning on pasta, the spork is a bit easier to use and a fun change. On longer trips with lots of food variety, eh, whichever, I don't really care.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I have that problem in the mornings sometimes.

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

I've been a longstanding believer in the spork. Beans, rice, quinoa, oats, pasta… name it, and I'd give you reasons for eating it with a spork.

I'm thinking this might have to change, now that I've eliminated pasta, legumes, and grains from my diet. I rely on freezer-bag cooking, and without such means of absorbing excess moisture, I think I'll be slurping down more sauce and broth with my meals. A spoon might be all I need now (provided I cut the jerky small enough).

Best of all, if I can commandeer a sundae spoon from the local Dairy Queen, I'll be able to cut a few grams at no cost to me… :-)

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools