Topic

Sporks SUCK!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sporks SUCK!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Troll Goal

@trollgoal

Who's with me on this one? There was a practical reason why individual spoons & forks were invented.

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

I'm with you here– assuming you mean those old-fashioned things that at essentially spoons with narrow slits nipped into their holding pools. Pointless, IMO.

Now those Light My Fire things? I'm sold. A separate spoon and a fork on the opposite ends of one implement, with an admittedly gawky knife on one of the fork's tines? It's the MacGyver of sporks.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I will play the contrarian here. I love my ti folding spork!

I suspect much depends on what we eat when we're out there… that, and a bit of personal preference.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Only a spoon can be found in my pack. I do keep spaghetti and steak off my menu list.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

If your actual goal is to troll ;) I think you picked the wrong topic. There's plenty of folks who don't like sporks (myself among them).

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"If your actual goal is to troll ;) I think you picked the wrong topic. There's plenty of folks who don't like sporks (myself among them)."

Actually, I've always found this site useful in terms of getting new ideas and learning different ways of doing things. But once I've confirmed and adopted what works for me — I care not at all about how many people do it "my" way or some other way.

And methinks you should feel the same as well. :)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have found that most Sporks sucks because the fork "teeth" go too deeply into the spoon section making it ineffective as a spoon. I also really don't like the double sided Light My Fire things because I have seen them break in cold weather and if I want to use both sides I ended up with food on my hand.

I was going to say I do like Foons (more spoon than fork)… but oh no, it turns out what I am using is called a MSR folding spork. So I guess I do like sporks.

–Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Verber:

Great minds think alike. My spork is also much more spoon than fork. Indeed, it has "just enough" fork to spear and hold food chunks. Below is a comparison of your MSR and my Brasslite (Tibetan brand) sporks:

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sports are more fork than spoon and are passable for thicker stuff like oatmeal. Not as good as a spoon for getting to the corners of a container like yogurt tubs. Great for thin noodles like ramen.

Most of the Ti spoons are too small, which I don't understand. BTW, you can get a Ti version of the Light My Fire double-ender, but I didn't like trying to pack one— too sharp in a pack.

I found folding anodized aluminum spoons from China on eBay that were good and eventually found Ti ones that weren't too pricey. It amazes me that you can't buy folding Ti spoons in the US. You might find single Esbit folders in the UK and Europe.

REI has two lengths of plastic spoons with big enough bowls to really slurp your soup :) Cooking supply stores have small wooden spoons, but I have yet to see one with a bowl sized for eating.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Until recently, I would only bring a spoon, since sporks are not the best forks and are miserable spoons (don't hold enough). However, I found this sea to summit full aluminum utensil set for 1.2 oz ("Sea to Summit Alpha Utensil Set"). Eat just like you do at home!

http://www.rei.com/product/782238/sea-to-summit-alpha-utensil-set

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Mark

+1 on the MSR Folding spork! One of the best I've actually found after a little 220 grit and steel wool to remove that cheek slicing knifey mold seam. …hmmm…did I remove a feature? :O) Turns out you can polish a turd into a diamond!

Comfortable to hold long and short and only 0.5oz. …in orange of course.

KJ

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I just carry a ti spoon, and feel no need for a device that does a poor job as either a fork or a spoon! If I need to stab something in order to get it to my mouth, I always have my knife, And even though I'm old and decrepit, my fingers still work!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have gone spoon-only on the trail for nearly 40 years now and have never felt tine envy.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I'm using fork for eating almost everything except soup (at home). Spork will hold much better than fork (not for pasta).
    The downside of a fork is that you can't get food out of pot corners. Spork has same disadvantage on this regard.

Maybe best combo is spoon + chopsticks. So you easily eat pasta, oatmeal, soup …

Soups I do like a lot and I drink them like tea. No spoon needed. I can use the same fork for getting pieces of food after I drink all the liquid from bowl.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Ben,
    I was just poking fun at the OP's username. No ire intended. :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If I really need a d@mn fork I'll whittle one.

Otherwise I'll use my long-handled Lexan spoon and little lockblade pocket knife for outdoor dining.

… and my plastic measuring/drinking cup and Cool Whip bowl. No froo froo ti stuff here. Just my anodized 3 cup aluminum pot and a Crux canister stove (or my Sidewinder)finishes off the cook set.

OK, OK, OK, the Sidewinder IS ti but only B/C it's necessary to withstand the heat of a wood fire. (Picky, picky.)

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Really, I read a few of your posts where you making same statements. But really what is the reason? I know, Ti is a bit overrated, even some folks BELIEVE that Ti is lighter than aluminium :)

But, it is stronger. If I only boil water and re-hydrate meals? It's perfect!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I gave up on sporks after poking a hole in yet another freeze-dried meal while stirring. Switched to a long Ti spoon four years ago and love it. If I am planning something that could really use a fork I just bring a lexan one for that trip.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Ti spoon only

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've been using anodized aluminum Sea to Summit spoon.

I never eat anything that requires fork.

It weighs 0.2 ounce. Theoretically a Ti spoon could weigh a tiny amount less but not significant.

A pot is bigger so Ti makes a little more difference so maybe worth extra cost.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

Which movie was it? . . . Stalingrad or Cross of Iron?

A female Russian fighter reaches for her boot, but as the german figher points his rifle at her, she says "my spoon" and pulls out her spoon.

I loved that scene because all the world traveling I've done, you can eat almost everything with a spoon.

And your knife can stab for eating what the spoon can't hold. I can use the spoon to hold something while the knife cuts.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I am a proud Spork user walking in the footsteps of other known Spork giants.

Some famous users (to name just a few):

*Odysseus (in a lost translation of Homer's Odyssey he apparently kills four of the 108 suitors with a bronze spork he was known to carry throughout the Trojan Wars)

*Joan of Arc

*Ernest Hemmingway (killed and ate marlin with one)

*Don Quixote

*Tom Joad (in the author's notes it was revealed Tom ate the rabbit at the beginning of "The Grapes of Wrath" with a tin spork- as was common to carry amongst hobos of the time).

*Titus of Gaul

*Amelia Earhart

*Maurice Herzog (used a spork as a piton during a desperate push on Annapurna)

*Sir Ernest Shackleton

*Bodhidharma

*General George S. Patton (carried a spork throughout North Africa)

*Gilgamesh (perhaps the first known spork devotee)

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

^^ That is awesome! ^^^^

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

And the tragic end for many of them?

If they had a spoon & knife, they could have lived a long and happy life!

For many of them, did they use tent, tarp, or hammock?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

To the above, may I also add spoonphallic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools