Topic

MEC sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MEC sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

Howdy,
    I'm having a hard time resisting the MEC Northern Lite Ultra at $95 (plus U.S. shipping):

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/MensClothing/PRD~5025-741/mec-northern-lite-ultra-jacket-mens.jsp

The problem is I don't have any experience with how their jackets are sized, especially outer layers such as this. A patagonia DAS worked for me in size medium, but was too boxy. I am 6', 170 lb, 40" chest, which means if the medium is sized to go over a few layers (R1, windshell, nanopuff), it'll be perfect, but if not it's going to be too tight. Returns would be a hassle as I don't live in Canada.

Any have experience with their sizing?

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

Well, if anyone else is curious about this, ask me in 10 days, because I ordered both sizes.

Also it is likely that I will have a medium or large for sale soon…

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My experience has been that MEC sizing tends to be slim yet long, which I like. So the sleeves and torso length are usually an inch or two longer than the norm, and the torso isn't very boxy because it's quite fitted/slim fit. At 5'11", 165lbs, medium normally fits me great. You may have a little trouble with the the 'slim-ness' of the medium if you have a lot of layers under.

David Ure

@familyguy

My experience has been that the arm length is too long even for me, who has a 79" wingspan. I also find the sizing not particularly athletic but admittedly, I have a large chest measurement so always have to size up and this can affect fit. There is no comparison to Arcteryx, for example, which fit me perfect. But of course, that is at a much different price point. Nothing is free and MEC products represent a good value apart from some strange sizing.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i tried on that particular jacket and found it slightly oversized, not as oversized as some of my other belay jackets …

but then im a short and stumpy azn ;)

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

I bought both the large and medium, and the medium is a perfect fit as a belay parka. Arms are long enough for my monster wingspan (6'4") and it's way less boxy than the DAS. And lighter. And cheaper. 23.5 ounches in large, 23.0 in medium. Definitely a winner.

The large is up on Gear Swap to save me from having to ship it back to Canada.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice to hear this worked out.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

MEC really does has some strange sizing, not always consistent across all of their pieces. At 6'3", skinny and long arms, none of their jackets have ever fit well. But, I'm THRILLED to find that their latest iterations of the T1-3 grid fleece layers fit perfectly. I would definitely always try on before in person.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Just a heads up the MEC norther ultra light jacket has dropped to 59$ at the MEC site.

If anyone purchased it within 30 days, then you can get MEC to refund you the difference.

and if you havent that is a SICK deal on 135-200g/m belay class PL1 synth puffy

also note that the MEC 100g/m PL1 jacket has dropped to 49$

and MEC gives 1% back to the planet just like some other company ;)

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/MensClothing.jsp

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

The T2 hoody, I believe similar to Capilene 4 Hoody, is also $25!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the newer T2 is a bit lighter than a cap4 i believe …

think very active base layer that costs 25$ yet has MEC no quetions asked warranty, not that youd ever want to send it back for the price … and is made in CANADA

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

I love the T3 hoodie and so couldn't pass up a chance to get a T2 hoodie for $25 plus shipping.

For the record, I'm 5'9"ish, 160lbs with an athletic build and the T3 in medium sizing fits great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools