Topic

Downmat UL vs Synmat UL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Downmat UL vs Synmat UL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

Downmat UL – 5.9 R value
    Small, 64×20, 16.7oz

Synmat UL – 3.1 R value
    Small, 64×20, 15.2oz

Seems to me to be a no brainer. 2.8 R value for 1.5 oz.
    Is there something I'm failing to consider? How do their packed sizes compare?
    Why would I choose the Synmat over the Downmat? Moisture gets trapped in the down?

Has anyone had experience with the Downmat UL XS (47×20) and a CCF piece beneath your feet?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

If you use the Schnozzel then there is really zero advantage to the Synmat other than weight in which case the huge improvement in R value makes the Downmat a no brainer IMO. The Schnozzel prevents moisture from corrupting the Down over time (despite it's treatment).

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I didn't realized the two were so close in weight. I bought a Synmat earlier this year, and now I want a downmat for winter camping.

Maybe I should sell my synmat!

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

I was wondering if it'd be possible to modify the schnozzel bag by cutting it in half and making a new roll top closure. It would be a size more suited to serving as just a sleeping bag drybag and be roughly half the weight.

I also considered the pillow pump, but it's just SO heavy. :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you have a typo.
    The Exped site says the Downmat UL Small is 18.7oz, not 16.7oz.
    Still at 18.7oz the Downmat is a no-brainer for fall, winter and spring camping.

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

http://www.backcountry.com/exped-downmat-7-sleeping-pad

this is where I got the 16.7oz weight.

"[XS] 14.8 oz, 1 lb 0.7 oz, [M] 1 lb 4.5 oz, [LW] 1 lb 10.5 oz"

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a Synmat UL for 3 season use, but I prefer the thicker and more durable non-UL Downmat for winter because it's usually the only insulation underneath me. Below 0F at night, I add a CCF pad too, both for extra warmth and insurance against a failed inflatable.

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

I'm planning to cut a piece of GG 1/8" pad to the length of the Downmat UL.

I'm thinking about using some velcro tape to keep the pad under the Downmat to protect it from the ground.

The 1/8" pad gives my pack a bit of structure, so its purpose is "dual use" – giving my pad more durability as well.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Snozzle might be able to double as a pack liner. Its about the right size.

BTW: I got a Medium Downmat UL7 for Christmas and will be trying it out this weekend. It is 19.75oz for the mat and 2.10 for the Snozzle. Two inflations of the snozzle blow the mat up fwiw.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I use the Schnozzle as a stuff sack / dry bag for my sleeping bag and down sweater. Works fine.

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

The pump bag is a must. I just used the SynMat UL and pumpbag combo over the Christmas weekend backpacking in west Texas where it got down to about freezing one night. I definitely can say the pad is pretty warm. But yeah the down mat would obviously be better (now if only I could find a long-wide downmat UL used for the same deal as my synmat UL). But the pumpbag inflates the mat to firm in two bags worth of air. I top it off with 2 breaths just to get it firmer for my heavy @ss (I figure the moisture from two breaths isn't that bad).

As far as stuff sacks go the Schnozzle is nice. I actually only put a few bit of clothing into it and just roll roll roll, squeeze out the extra air until it's all vacuum sealed, and close the schnozzle. It'll stay reasonably well vacuumed for about 36 hours and makes wedging clothes into crannies in my pack very easy while guaranteeing they'll stay dry if I take a dunking or get rained on.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have both in regular if you have any specific questions.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

RE:  “”Brad Rogers  BTW: I got a Medium Downmat UL7 for Christmas and will be trying it out this weekend.”””

Hey Brad!  How did the Downmat UL7 workout for you????

THANKS!

.d

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools