Topic

So, What did Santa Bring his Ultra Light Helpers this Year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) So, What did Santa Bring his Ultra Light Helpers this Year?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

Hey All,

It is time for the obligatory 2012 thread. What did Santa bring you this year? I hope you all were nice and got some pretty cool stuff.

I think I was on both lists this year. Santa brought me the Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket in Orange that I have been wanting for some time! But, he also brought me women's large rain pants that were on clearance? Any thoughts on what that could mean?

Bob Burke

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Tent Cot and a mason jar with a solar lamp. Sucks not having outdoors type family members.

Got myself some new Ice Breaker base layers and a 0 degree quilt from Enlightened Equipment and a stove from Qiwiz.

Eric Moe

@ericmoe

Locale: Washington

Helly Hansen fleece mid-layer.
    Spyderco Dragonfly
    100 feet of paracord

Santa sure is a nice guy!

Of course I felt like Santa too giving out a sleeping bag and OR hard shell.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Santa brought my parents each a Prolite short so they can sleep more comfortably on their trips. He also brought them a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2.
    I got a Newt bought might send it back to the North Pole, not sure about the fit.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Santa Claus brought me a new Cougar X-lite travel trailer. Not SUL at 7,000lbs unloaded, but it's light by some standards. Other than that, I actually got zero camping related gear this year. As my wife says, "You're too picky and everything you want is too expensive."

29rev

Ryan

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Received two REI gift cards! Trying to decide between a Exped Downmat or MSR Whisperlite Universal Stove for winter camping. Yeah!

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I got the lightest gear ever: nothing.

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

$200 REI gift card
    Golite running tights
    Dakota Grizzly Kenyon Shirt
    Kindle

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Golite Roan Hooded Parka in Black and a two month gym memebership to get in shape for some backpacking trips to the desert this spring :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ryan,

That was a quick trip to the dark side ;)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

No backpacking gear for me this year, don't need anything.

But I did get a custom 7' speed egg by Jon Wegener. Even had him glass my pottery stamp logo onto the bottom of the deck.
    Took it out yesterday and this morning…super fast and smooth.
    Santa's got nothing on my wife.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't need any new gear since everything is dialed in. But Joyce got me this Sony RX100.

RX100

For me I enjoy finding the perfect gifts for my family. Normally my Christmas shopping is completed by September. This year Joyce was overwhelmed by these two rather large pieces of art. If I had to, I would trade the camera for the enjoyment of watching her opening her presents.

African beauty

Caurosel

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

A thousand or so lumens.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I was thoroughly surprised by getting my first tenkara rod. Can't wait to try it out!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Trying to decide between a Exped Downmat or MSR Whisperlite Universal Stove for winter camping.
    Oh, go for the down mat!!!

Cheers

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My folks got me some Kahtoola Snowshoes, the MTN 28's. I am thrilled- they're exactly what I needed. Very proud of them for asking advice at EMS, since they aren't outdoorsy.

Snowshoes

My grandmother sent some christmas money, so I invested it in some La Sportiva Delta GTX boots!

La Sportiva Boots

I've got a trip in January, so I wished a happy Christmas to myself and ordered three pairs of super-thick socks, a Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 32º, and a Thermarest Z-Lite Sol torso pad.

MH Sleeping Bag

I got to spend time outside doing a Bonfire with my family up in Vermont. It was picture-perfect:

Campfire

Merry Christmas to all!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some helium inserts for the side pockets on my backpack.

Not really.

–B.G.–

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

It took some careful hint dropping but Santa got me a Melanzana hoody. One of those things I probably wouldn't have bought for myself but loved as a gift. Been wearing it since I opened it and love it.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Zpacks Cuben Fiber ground sheet for the Twin from my parents. Bunch of darn tough socks from myself. My lady got herself a MLD women's prophet. Came in today. Oh yeah some titanium tent pegs from Lawson.

Then there are the gift certificates.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

coffee, lots and lots
    of coffee and a keurig coffee maker

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Nick,

I know! Not totally convinced I'm going to like it more than the Avalon, but the wife caught the bug and then talked me into it(which isn't very tough – I'm one of those who always thinks they need the latest & greatest thing). Definitely going to miss the sound of rain hitting the pup canvas and the tent-like feel as well. I will just have to live vicariously through the trip reports on your new blog. Keep 'em coming!

Ryan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

More time with Casey. She's going on 14, slowing down a bit, and her back legs have lost a lot of strength (I cut 6" off the legs of my bed frame so she could still 'hop' up on the bed), but she's still going strong and still follows me all around the house and the yard. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

.casey

Jeffery Giddens
    Spectator

@xxjgxx1

Locale: Virginia

Mini Bull Designs 10cm Imusa Mug Lid
    Carbonfelt Handle Wrap For Imusa Mug
    Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow (small)
    SOL Core Lite Survival Knife
    Evernew 600ml Bottle
    Evernew 2L Bottle
    Petzl e+LITE
    Salomon XR Mission Trail-Running Shoes

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm with Andy. Everyone I know was rotten so I bought no gifts this year either.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Got a Nexus 4 from the GF, yay!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools