Topic

question- will this likely fit in 16.5 L (1000 ci) ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion question- will this likely fit in 16.5 L (1000 ci) ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm looking for a multi-day running pack (3 day/2 night max) and found one that looks like it well suited for running (vest style) and utilizes bottle holders- preferred over bladder- the Ultraspire Fastpack

it has several smaller pockets (including a small lid and front pocket) that would take most of of the smaller items I'd pack, the front pocket would hold my rain jacket easily

my question is will the following kit likely fit in 16.5 liter bag, Katabatic 30 degree quilt, neoair reg, Event bivy, MH Ghost down jkt, Cap 3 bottoms, beanie, gloves, extra socks, 400 ml ti mug w/ Esbit stove/spork nested

two 20-ish oz bottles carried in provided pockets

food-2 boil in bag suppers, 2 breakfasts (granola/dried fruit/dried milk/coffee), the rest of the food will be bars, cubes/gels, sports drinks

my other option is to work w/ Chris Z and come up w/ a similar pack in the 20-ish L range, as a one off this option would cost more and there's a chance it might not work??? :(

danke

Mike

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Mike,

When all else fails get back to the basics.

Re: the pack in question.

Do you know the volume of the main compartment of the pack in question?

Once you know that find a cardboard box that will hold everything that you plan on packing into the main compartment of that pack.

Stuff your "kit" into the box much the same way that you would stuff it into the pack. Once it is all inside of the box mark the highest point of the gear. Take the measurements of the box, L x W and multiply by the H (height of the gear) to get a cubic in displacement of the volume necessary to contain your gear.

One liter equals 61.0237 cubic inches. Your 1000 cubic inch estimate is close but about 6.9 cubic inches low. Don't short change yourself on the available space if the bag measurements are accurate.

I looked at the pack on their website and it gives no info on the main compartment volume. Most packs include the pockets in their volume/capacity figures. You may have to call or email them to get the main compartment figures on its volume.

You mentioned that you'll be able to use the pockets for a lot of small items and your rain jacket etc. You'll want to be sure where everything is going on the outside of the main bag before taking the measurements of the rest of your gear.

My "guesstimate" is that what you spelled out on your list will fit with the only question mark being the full size Neoair. Is their a 20" x 8 – 10" space where it can be folded flat up against the pack front. It doesn't seem so from the pictures that I see.

FASTPACK

It seems more oblong in shape.

I hope some of this helped.

Bitte

Froehliche Weihnachten

Party On,

Newton

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice looking design. I've considered adding hydration fanny packs to small packs like the Flash 18 as the water weight and volume are issues. This pack combines them nicely.

I bought a ProLite short pad to help solve the volume issues with a sleeping pad. It rolls up to the size of a nalgene or folds flat against a side of the pack. It process as much or more cushion as a RidgeRest. They make an extra small that is another foot shorter if you really want to get the volume and weight down, but 3 feet is too extreme for me. I carry a Z-seat foam sitting pad that complements it.

The new REI Flash 22 would be a good alternative at much lower cost—- once they clear up the back orders

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks gents :)

I was assuming the 1000 cubic inches was the main pack, but you know what happens when one assumes :)- I'll shoot them an email to find out

my neoair when folded in thirds and rolled tightly is about the size of a Pringles can, be tough to get too much smaller than that- I tried a small (too much of a drop off to be comfy), my wife has a medium that I've used before it's a wee bit smaller

I've run in "traditional" packs (Talon 5.5, 11, 22) and while they will do in a pinch, they aren't anywhere as stable as a vest style pack

I saw one more pack that might work (it's not quite out yet)- it's the Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket 20, it's utilize a vest style harness, but doesn't incorporate bottle holders as near as I can tell

Photobucket

Photobucket

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-599-pb-adventure-vest.aspx

I have one and so far,just awesome. I did look at the ultraspire but did read quite a few negative reviews. But I did take chance on the UD P.B. vest considering no reviews nor a chance to check it out w/o purchase.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Patrick- I looked at the PB (nice looking pack), but it's smaller yet- I think it would be great for unsupported long days (R2R2R, TransZion, etc), but unless the volume is severely underrated, looks to be too small for a overnight or two

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike

if you buy the Ultraspire Fastpack and make it to Joshua Tree in March, consider bringing it.
    would love to take a look.

have studied it online and am looking to transfer my bottles from hands to pack.
    the design makes me worry about banging the bottles with my arms as I swing them, hard to tell from a photo.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Mike,
    I don't know if you remember the pack I had at the GC but it was an MLD burn. For a single day, very low volume trip like the R2R2R I tied the back panel together to severely reduce the volume. But the nice thing is that it can be scaled up to multiday day quite easily by adding back in the volume. This pack could be a different alternative to use as a starting point. I would love to see Ron make a revised Burn that could be setup for trail running. Not quite sure what I would change because it works nicely as I use it but others may have some improvement ideas.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Art- if I'm able to make it and have the pack, I'll definitely bring it so everyone can take a peek. Arm swing is one of my worries as well, they do have some unique shaped bottles that come w/ the pack that you can turn and it provides a lower profile.

Greg- it was snowing too hard :) Thom Darrah also uses a Burn for multi-day trips (running/fastpacking)- so it's definitely an option. Since I've worn a vest style pack for running, it sure seems like the way to go, but a 6 liter pack is one thing and 20+ liter quite another????

Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools