Topic

An ABC Watch…Casio PAW1300 vs. PAW2000

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) An ABC Watch…Casio PAW1300 vs. PAW2000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

This is for those of you considering a new ABC watch from Casio this season. I wont go into detail about why I chose this brand over Suunto other than it was right for me. If you are torn between the Casio PAW1300 and PAW2000 this might help sway you a bit. The PAW-2000 has some extra features I really didn't need like the dual led screens, sunrise/sunset calender and the extra $72.95… BUT the watch band was crucial.

The PAW-1300 has a very specific band attachment that will not accept most aftermarket straps. The PAW-2000 has a more standard band attachment and most any wrist strap will fit it. This made it a very easy choice for me. Happy holidays!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Why do you want an aftermarket band? Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I've been quite content with the standard band on my $140 PAW1300.

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

Hi Dan, I read many of your posts while I was deciding between a Casio or Suunto, they were very helpful thanks! That's a great deal you got on ebay, my paw2000 wasn't much more. I had read too many reviews about the plastic bands breaking. Moreover I just plain prefer my "EK" neoprene watch band, it's awesome! Oh and the metal buttons on the 2000 are perty ;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah the PAW2000 is a really nice. Although I find the PAW1300 screen totally adequate, the higher quality PAW2000 screen would be nice. Ideally I wanted a titanium PAW2000, but those end up costing around $300 in Ti (and it weighs double). Love the titanium:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Mens-Pathfinder-Digital-Multi-Function-Titanium-Braclet-Watch-PAW2000T-7-/130823264512?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1e75ac9900

Thanks for the info on the plastic bands breaking. I hadn't heard that but I'll keep an eye out for any signs of fatigue.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Fwiw, I have had a Citizen titanium watch for over a decade now, and I need to get a new pin for it every year or two. Problem is: any significant lateral impact on the watch will cause the aluminum pin to break before anything else on the watch, since all the parts around it are titanium. Obviously this is a good and bad thing.

But because of this behavior, I really don't trust it too much in the field any more.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Turns out my PAW1300 band broke a couple weeks ago (after 2-3 years of daily wear). $50 for a new band – ouch.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I don't recall the model number but the titanium band broke on my Pathfinder and I can't find anyone local who can fix it. Avoiding this in the future is now one of my priorities for my next ABC watch.

I'm now looking at the Fenix and it appears it will work with a NATO watch band.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Costco's stocking the black Pathfinder Tough Solar ABC's for a buck-seventy. I saw them yesterday.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools