Topic

Choosing the right shoes..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Choosing the right shoes..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe Hoover

@joehoover

Locale: New England

I just recieved my Inov-8 Flyroc 10s and Montrail Hardrocks.

I like the feel of the flyrocs a little better but the inside side of my foot, near the ball, extends over the sole of the shoe. For clarification, i'm not saying the actual ball of my foot extends beyond the sole of the shoes but the part of my foot vertically above the the ball extends beyond the sole. Its not uncomfortable, and my feet feel completely supported. However, I'm worried that this might later become a problem…for whatever reason.

My feet seem to be a little to wide for the hardrocks also.

My question is, how wide is to wide?
    are these shoes designed so that the parts of your feet are not directly over the sole of the shoe?

in the past I've purchased whatever running shoes were cheapest, however due to the amount of usage these shoes will recieve I want to be as sure as possible that they will work out.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

If your foot is too wide when just trying them on, you're setting yourself up for issues after a full day (or multiple days) of walking with even a relatively small amount of pack weight. I would have my feet measured. If you're wider than a D, the regular Montrail will definitely be cut too narrow overall.

You might want to consider a somewhat wider shoe like the Vasque Velocity or Blur. An alternate would be the wide-cut version of the Hardrock, though it may prove to wide at the heel. Your best bet is to get fitted by an experienced bootfitter and try the models which will best fit the overall shape of your foot.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

You may be the opposite of me, while technically not a narrow in footwear I purchase either La Sportiva boots or Montrail running shoes due to their fit.

I wish my Montrails were the tiniest bit more narrow, but I had to go with a 12.5. I would have gone with the La Sportiva trail runners but their grips do not seem to be as good to me and the last pair I had fell apart with minimal use.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools