Topic

REI Flash 22 Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Flash 22 Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

New?

REI Flash 22 Pack

http://www.rei.com/product/844631/rei-flash-22-pack

1 pound,
    22 liters (1343 cubic inches)
    side mesh pockets,
    top flap with pocket
    $49.50

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Finally REI combined the Flash 18 with the features of the REI Stuff Travel Pack (Link)!

I know what I'm backordering!

KJ

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a dividend trap to me :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The green color is a bit dull. Wonder if they can flash it up some?

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I've gotten surprisingly good performance from the little Flash 18, so this pack looks like a good step up in capacity and features.

Two concerns:

1) It's big enough to benefit from some form of compression system. I suppose you could thread some bungee cord through the daisy chain loops and cinch it down.

2) It seems to have the same shoulder straps as the Flash 18, which I have found just barely adequate. With the increased volume/weight capacity, the Flash 22's straps may get a bit uncomfy.

Of course, addressing these concerns would push the weight over 1 pound. Choices, choices.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The first think I did to the Flash 18 was to figure-8 a bungie cord through the daisy chains and finish up with a toggle– a 60 second upgrade :)

But that was more for stashing a rain shell or other wet/bulky stuff. I rarely have issues with needing compression straps with small packs like that.

A zig-zag of line on the sides á la Vaude packs would be great if you really need it:

Vaude backpack

There is a parallel thread at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71498 and Newton has shown a very nice arrangement using linlocs for compression straps there.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

The REI bags are usually really nice.

I have a Flash 45 and an Gossamer Gear Mariposa.

The GG is decent I admit but the REI Flash 45 has more 'features' that you don't realize.

I should really write these down.

This seems like a cross between the two so I might check it out.

Foo Bar
    BPL Member

@schassey

Locale: Bay Area

http://www.rei.com/product/844660/rei-flash-45-pack

Fully featured, but not necessarily over featured. 34oz isn't too bad, and $129 is even better.

I don't see anything else too exciting in their spring lineup:
    http://www.rei.com/pdf/features/gearapparel/Spring-2013-lookbook.pdf

Although the new bags and pads are pretty nice, if not too light.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

oh man, that parrot color looks like something Patagucci would sell.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'm a lot more impressed with the Flash 45 than I am with the Flash 22.

16oz is a lot for a 22L pack with no hipbelt. My revamped Flash 30 weighs 15 oz with more features and still retains its load lifters and hipbelt.

But back to the Flash 45…I wonder how much load it can support? Looking over the suspension system details, I'm a bit lost in their marketing spin…

"Aluminum headrail teams up with 2 flexible Delrin rods to offer genuine load transfer to the hips, which is virtually unheard of in a pack this light!"

Delrin rods I understand, but wth is an aluminum headrail?

Also, the color name is hilarious…black and lime spritz??? What kind of frou frou 22yr old sorority sister alcoholic drink are we talking about here?

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I already own a couple Flash 18's and a Flash 30, but I have no doubt that I will buy both a 22 and a 45 when dividend time arrives. I love the 18 and the 30, but the 22 and 45 will fill a couple of other niches for me.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Konrad asked, "Delrin rods I understand, but wth is an aluminum headrail?"

I would expect that to be an aluminum cross-bar where the shoulder straps mount with the Delrin rods running diagonally to the hip belt. Dana did this years ago using fiberglass rods, along with others. I imagine the Delrin would bow under too much weight, but I doubt this crowd would have an issue with that :)

Colors? Who knows what these design and marketing teams think about. You would think they survey on these details.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Hey! I like the green one!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Good call Dale! I looked into the 2013 look book link that Scott posted above and read up a bit more on the flash 45. Regarding the suspension and the cross-bar:

"Here’s a pack in the 2-pound class that offers substantial load support and transfers that load efficiently to the hips. it accomplishes these feats via a perimeter frame that’s tubular aluminum on top, with lightweight delrin® rods on each side.
    these side rods shave off ounces and provide flexibility. This design also improves balance because the load conforms to a hiker’s back."

also,

"Having flexible side rails is the key to having a load-transfer point in an area of the body that moves so much. the solid top rail, though, offers a good anchor point for load-lifter straps."

Apparently the bow and flex are intentional and will help us? Hey, I would love to have a lil bounce in my step while im enjoying my black and lime spritz ;)

But enough of me talking trash…truth be told, I think the Flash 45 is a damn sexy pack…almost as sexy as Mark from REI's pencil thin mustache (click the video, there's just so much awesomeness in it….and by awesomeness I strictly mean mustache). Looks like it's a head to head competition against the Osprey Exos 46, but at 4oz less. The price point is steller too.

Just to draw another comparison, it weighs the exact same as the Granite Gear Crown 60, but is about 10-15L smaller, but you get hipbelt pockets and a lid/ lidpocket that could potentially bridge the gap…you also get a true frame as opposed to a frame sheet.
    The down side that I see outright is the unisex sizing…someones gonna get the short end of the stick here.

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

I just ordered one. Unfortunately they are out of stock so it's on backorder for me.

It looks like a great pack that I can use when my GG Murmur just isn't big enough or I need to carry more weight. I'm actually impressed that REI is now designing full-featured functional packs that are as light or lighter than actual "lightweight" backpacks out there on the market (looking at you GoLite Jam). I'm sure I'll easily be able to shave off a couple more ounces.

I'll put a first impressions post up once it arrives.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

It looks like the top lid is on ladder locks, so it should be detachable without surgery.

It looks like they have been studying the UL packs, with side pockets and that big mesh pocket on the front. That tubular perimeter frame looks very Osprey-ish. Looks like it has decent ventilation on the back pad too. Could those "light weight lash points" near the bottom be adapted for use like the GoLite Compactor feature?

http://www.rei.com/product/844660/rei-flash-45-pack and expand the photos.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Has anyone used a Flash 45 yet?

If anyone can give me some input, I have two questions: how much weight can it carry? And will a 32" waist fit into the large?

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

The back panel of the Flash 22 looks more involved than the simple fabric panel of the Flash 18. Makes me think you might be able to take a razor to the Flash 22 and trim a little more weight.

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

The Flash 45 I preordered shipped on Tuesday and should be here by next week. I'm excited to see how it performs!

Sean Breen

@scout22

My Flash 22 came in yesterday and boy is it nice. Its actually a bit bigger than i imagined, and the color is fantastic (i bought the green one). The removable pad that acts as a back support is stiffer than i had thought it would be, but its not a bad thing. the mesh pockets on both sides are large and easily fit 1 liter nalgeens, or smart water bottles. The straps are decent, i prefer the straps on the old flash 18 that i have but the new ones are fine, and the lid pocket is actually large enough to really be called a pocket and not just a gimmick. so overal nice pack.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The Flash 22 is arriving in the stores and I got a look at one yesterday. I like it. The green is better than I thought. I loaded one cup with some weights and walked around a bit. With 10 pound the straps felt fine and it wrapped around me well. So many small packs have straps that are too small and the pack rides too high, like a rabid raccoon on you back as I have been known to say. The side pockets have some volume and aren't just mesh envelopes. It's on my wish list for the dividend sale :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I picked up a Flash 22 with the dividend sale and it is working well for me. I've had a chance to use it as luggage for a quick road trip and several hikes. After a 10 miler yesterday with essentials, cameras and water, I'm sold on it for my go-to day hiking pack.

Yesterday's load included a one liter bottle in one outside pocket and windshirt in the other, snacks and phone in the top pocket, and cameras, puffy and essentials in the main compartment, and there was plenty of room to spare.

The shoulder straps feel on the minimal side at first and trim smooth out and settle in. They need a little arranging as the thin design can wrap around while putting the pack on. Once smoothed out and adjusted they felt fine with the 10 pound load and that was over a simple base layer tee.

I don't use the waist strap and will probably remove it. That can be done without permanent surgery which is something I really appreciate in pack design.

The lid is permanently attached, by I like lid pockets. The strap on the lid helps the pack keep its shape. I did add a bungee cord array to the double rows of daisy chains and the lid trap helps to keep items stored there from getting away. I carry a z-seat sit pad there and it fits perfectly.

There is a removable foam pad that is a type of foam I haven't seen before– rather dense stuff but it works well. A back pad is a good thing in small day packs to keep stuff from poking you in the back. The stiffness of this one contributes to the pack shape too. REI touts it as removable to use as a sit pad. That is possible, but not that easy or convenient, and the pad is rather small and not nearly as comfortable as my z-seat, so I'll stick with that.

I could pull off a SUL warm weather overnighter with this bag, using my Gatewood Cape, a Prolite short pad and a minimalist quilt. If you have thought about something like a GoLite Ion with pockets, just get this pack.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools