Topic

MYO Granite Gear Lid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO Granite Gear Lid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Finally, I was able to find the time to make my own Granite Gear lid. The idea and pictures came from here.

The Parts List Includes:

uretek zipper, zipper pulls
    1/8" drawcord, primoloc toggle
    1/4" grossgrain
    3/4" sternum strap giude
    3/4" buckle
    3/4" webbing
    200D oxford
    mitten hook

additional parts:
    3/4" whistleloc
    1" sew-on hook/loop
    GG Lid  Parts

I used some 3/4" webbing in ice-axe configuration to loop onto the load lifter ladder locs.
    Load Lifter Webbing

I also used the sternum strap clip to attach the lid to the upper lashing strap.
    Lashing Strap

I made two different designs. One had the grossgrain and drawcord at the webbing points to act as additional lashing. The other design was without the drawcord. Both models included the mitten clip inside, to hold onto keys.

Why 200D fabric? I figure, with keys and other things that normally go in these pockets, I needed something heavier than 1.1 silnylon.

They weigh roughly 2.0 oz. For the same price it would have cost to purchase one lid from GG, I was able to make 2 lids and a few other things (see below).

VT LidVirga LidKey Hook

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I also added the sternum whistle…
    whistle

and I also made a pocket for the waist belt (both for the wife's Virga and my Vapor Trail). The hook/loop is adjustable enough to fit a variety of belt/webbing sizes. It's approx. 0.6oz.

pocket1pocket velcro

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Joe –

Awesome craftsmanship. Both the lid and waistbelt pockets look great. If you're feeling like really going at your Virga I've had great luck removing the vertical colored elements on that connect the compression straps together. I just cut them right off altogether and replaced the heavy compression straps with a single piece of lightweight shockcord. PM for some photos if you're interested.

– sam_h

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Nice Job Joe!
    Working with the Uretek zippers is fun isnt it? They make the final project so slick looking.
    Nice work

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools