Topic

10 ounce Grand Trunk Nano camp stool, $16 @ REI outlet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 10 ounce Grand Trunk Nano camp stool, $16 @ REI outlet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Yes, I know a log or tree stump is free and adds zero ounces to your 5lb base weight, but I've been trying to get a good deal on one of these for a while and they just went on further discount tonight at reioutlet. Free 2 day shipping. Cheapest ive seen so far.

Also 6% cash back at fatwallet or mrrebates (I've gad great experiences with both)

http://www.rei.com/product/838224/grand-trunk-micro-stool-2012-special-buy

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

thanks. couldn't resist. happy sitting.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Thoughts on this compared to the REI trail stool at 18 ounces which looks slightly more compact and a bit sturdier albeit heavier?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Well, I figured that if Adam and the K-man have one, I'd better get with it myself. So I just ordered two of the little suckers. Now, whether a height of 9" will work is another matter altogether. At least it will make a good gift for my buddy's 4 y.o. grandson. Or a footstool while car camping?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Phillip,
    I've tried those REI trail stools and they work just fine. You're also getting more height with the REI trail stool when compared against the grand trunk micro stool (15" vs 9"). The REI style chairs are surprisely comfortable even if they appear to cup your nether regions. They are very bulky and relatively heavy though, and they don't collapse down any shorter than the leg length (around 15"). So you're more likely going to strap it outside your pack. That's why I'm going with the grand trunk stool…more compact, and lighter. I just sold an Alite monarch for the same reason why I don't like the REI style stool…too bulky to the point that it stayed home it's entire life.

Hey Gary!
    I have a wooden footstool at home that is 10" high that I keep in the kitchen to reach high cabinets (and hidden cookies). I don't really have a dining table other than my coffee table, so in the mornings when I'm in a rush I often find myself just sitting on this stool eating breakfast. It works really well! Based on that, I'm thinking 9" shouldn't be too bad. And as always, you have the R.E.I. (Return Everything Inc) policy working for you incase you don't end up liking it. Good luck!

For those who need more info, here's a video of some of its features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lfrytW5R0

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Nope, K-Man, we all know that you sold that Alite Monarch chair because it was PURPLE. Anyway, if my nano stools are too short, guess what you're getting for Christmas… (I hope you have a great holiday! You too Adam!)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

OK, Konrad, that's another fine mess you got me into! True to REI's 2-day UPS shipping, mine just arrived. I put one together, took it to the patio for a test sit, and I was almost, but not quite, totally underwhelmed. Man, these are made for hobbits, not manly men like you and Adam. I'm going to hit the local custom bike shop and see if they have some scrap titanium tubing that I can slide onto the legs to raise the stool maybe 6". The second stool will be dyed purple and set on your door step when you least expect it! By the way, mine weighs 10.8 oz., without the stuff sack. Not too much lighter than those REI 3-legged stools.

Merry Christmas, anyway, K-man (the other gear enabler).

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

hahah, mine literally just showed up 30 mins ago. I too am a bit bummed that they are overspec. Both of mine are 11oz solid, without stuff sack. I'm gonna take a knife to the storage net underneath and see if I can recoup an oz there. Sorry Dr. D! Looks like I'm getting lumps of coal along with my purple stools this x-mas :D

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like my Z-Seat (foam sit pad) at 2oz, but it does have SHORT legs :)

When I first read this post I thought it was about the Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock, which can come it at about the same weight depending on suspension options.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Nah, you're the complete dude, Konrad. Now, if if I can just find the right cute hobbit, you're off the hook.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i have a little princess that loves it so now it's multi-use!

happy holidays guys!

d

for the record, i actually do like how it cups your butt and will use it when cooking or by the fire. you can lighten it even more by removing the shock cord. packs down small enough to fit into most side pockets.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Wow, Adam, what a darling little princess you have there! It's the perfect size for her, and the red stool matches her outfit. You win!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Never wanting to disappoint my BPL brethren and curious to know how I could shave weight on this stool, I took the damn thing apart…which was very easy actually. Just pull out one of the beveled metal plugs at the legs and it's self explanatory from there.

Here are the weights of the components:

Legs: 8.5oz
    legs

Internal Bungee and Metal Plugs: 1.0z
    plugs

Fabric Seat/Understorage Net/Velcro strap: 1.6oz
    seat

It became immediately clear to me that the bungee cord was overbuilt. So was the fabric seat material. There wasn't much I could do with the legs.

So i got to work! Swapped out the bungee and restitched a new fabric seat out of 210D ripstop (same stuff used in the Alite Monarch, so should support a good amount of weight). I ditched the understorage net, but kept the velcro strap (i think it weighed .1oz)

Here is revamped one next to an original. No breathtaking weight savings, but modded version weighs 9.7oz compared to the original 11oz.
    new seat

If I had access to a drill press I could have gotten rid of the metal plugs altogether and just tied the bungees to holes made into the legs themselves, probably shaving another .8oz or so. If I had real guts, I'd redo the other one in cuben fiber :D

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

From reviews the most common negative remark is the thin legs dig into soft ground.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

John,

If you're talking about the 2 reviews on REI, it's actually just one guy who posted 2 separate reviews saying the same thing. Based on the language he uses, it sounds like he thinks the legs will sink into soft ground without having actually tested them yet. The legs are pretty thick…thicker than I wish they were as I would have appreciated the weight savings. They are about a dime's width in diameter. But who knows, I haven't tested the stool outside yet either.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Also digging the Z-seat :) +1

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

If you look closely in the corner of the pic where I'm measuring the weight of the stool's legs, you'll see my reflective/limon z-seat. Unfortunately, that one has gone to the dogs…literally. It's my chihuahuas sleeping mat. I do love how small and fast it deploys though.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I call it the Napmaster. As an UL Chihuahua bed, it excels. I knew it was multi-use!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I couldn't just let Konrad win outright, without some sort of wimpy attempt at improving the Nano stool on my part. I have nothing at all in my arsenal that can possibly compete with that photo of Adam's lovely princess, however.

But here's an option–remove the end caps and insert 4 long Easton stakes into the ends of the legs. The stakes stop at the pins that connect the two leg pieces. It adds 1.75" to the height of the stool, it remains quite stable, it's completely reversible, but it adds 2.1 oz. to the stool weight. That is, unless you actually use the stakes for your shelter (then you pretend that they don't add any weight at all). My stock stool weighs 10.2 oz. with the mesh underbag removed, and 12.3 oz. with the Easton stakes (maybe a bit lighter if I removed the Triptease cords).

Nano stool mod

You still win, K-man, 'cause you can sew stuff–nice work! Geeks 'R Us!

edit–spelling

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

As a medical professional I will advise you to be very, very careful about calling yourself a "stool geek…"

Just sayin……..

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I know this isn't as light as the stool, but I want comfort and
    this chair is heaven. I sat in one at our local REI, and I'll sacrifice something else so I can carry this luxury, but you might not want to get out of your chair once you're in camp lest someone steals your seat. Its nice not only for relaxing after a long days hike, but it's great to sit up and cook your meals off the ground, don't get me wrong I love my inflatable sit pad, it's light, convienent and doesn't take up much space, but after sitting in this chair I was sold. I also got a REI gift card for X-mas so this will be sweet!

Edit for spelling.

Jack

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Actually, Jennifer, I too am a health care professional–a public health dentist with extensive training in forensics. A couple years ago, I spotted this scat in my back yard, and of course I had to identify it (that's what forensic people do):

Bear scat

Note the ruler–that's what we do when taking photos of the "crime scene," to establish scale. After a few hours of internet searching, I decided that it was the calling card of a garbage-fed black bear (no berries or animal fur mixed in), and I sent the photo to the state wildlife office. A couple days later the head biologist concurred with my findings. So I now consider myself an amateur forensic scatologist of sorts, which might mean that I actually AM a stool geek.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Nice one Gary,

Just don't sit on it, I couldn't resist.

The 2 on the left look very close to cow dung, but the one on the right I knew was bear, with no berries in the stool it's hard to determine sometimes.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Yeah, Jack, almost all bear scat I've seen (griz and black, YNP, GNP, and the Bob; we don't have many bears here in CO) has been loaded with extraneous debris–berry seeds, animal fur, tiny twigs, and grass, etc. I once watched a griz eating huckleberries from 200 yards away. He literally ate the whole bush, leaves and all. So I can imagine what his scat looked like later.

Back on thread–last week, I saw that REI chair you linked to. It certainly is comfortable, and also pretty stable. I cringe at the weight penalty though myself.

You know, I think that there has to be a niche for a stool like the Nano, but full sized and made from titanium tubing and cuben. If one could be made that comes in at <13 oz., and priced at ~$50, I think it would be the product of the year. Lawson, I'm looking at you!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Gary,

I got the pot stand and it works great, thanks.

If someone could do what you mentioned about the weight and price of a chair, I'd buy 2!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools