Topic

Older Golite Shelters require seam seamling?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Older Golite Shelters require seam seamling?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I picked up a older Golite SL2 a few months ago and though I have used it a few times I haven't used it in anything but a light rain. I have heard that the thread was supposed to expand so they didn't need to be seam sealed but wanted to see how well that worked in practice. Anyone have any insight?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The older SL2's had the expanding thread, but the newer ones with the lighter fabric are seam taped?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Yes, the new ones are sil/pu coated and seam taped. I think they started using the new fabric in 2010. This is the older version with the expanding thread, I just dont know how well it works. I was hopeing some people had some experiance with it here.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There is a very long thread at Outdoors Magic that includes comments on that
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/golite-shangri-la-3/hex-3-owners-thread/30212.html

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Hi Brad,

I've been using a 2009 SL2 as my primary shelter since November of 09. Since then, the shelter has seen some pretty intense storms. So far, so good. No leaks.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I had an old hex 3 out in a very heavy storm one time in colorado and it didnt leak. It was not seam sealed and I think it was the same fabric as the old. Version SL3

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I've been using a Hut 1 in same fabric since probably 2007 and no leaks in several storms ; ) (never seam sealed).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thank you guys this was just the kind of first hand info I was looking for. I probably won't use it above freezing much but its good to know if I do, it shouldn't leak.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools