Topic

Backpacking the CT – In December

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Backpacking the CT – In December

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

This was a short, fun, different, overnight. We hadn't had any snow to speak of, so why not get out for an overnight? I decided to to segment 5 of the CT. Normally this route should be covered in snow by now. It's fairly close to home so my wife could do a modified car shuttle. We'd drop a car off at Kenosha Pass and she'd drop me and the dogs off at Long Gulch TH. Did I mention that my wife is a backpacking enabler? :) (You want me to follow you and drop you off where? So you can hike to where? Let's go.)

At the TH. I should really get the dogs sunglasses if the photog will have the sun directly behind her. They're breathing hard because we were the only ones at the TH and 2 vehicles pulled up with 2 Goldens and 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs and a great time was had by all.

Long Gulch TH

Didn't want to count on getting water out of frozen streams so we cached water midway through. And if we're caching water, why not a a few good brews? And a nice dinner?

Frozen stream

Typical Lost Creek.

Lost Creek rocks

More rocks.

More rocks

Old cabin.

Old cabin

Frozen beaver pond. I was laughing at the dogs skating around on this pond until it dawned on me that I'd have to pull them out if they broke through.

Froze beaver pond

The Lost Creek high route is the light brown top of this ridge. We tried it last summer but ran into bad weather and had to bail off the ridge. The people we met with the dogs at the TH were doing a day hike to Peak X. Pmags covers the route here:

http://www.pmags.com/kenosha-mountain-range-traverse

High route

This is the first time I've found a convenient branch to hang the SL3 from. Not having the center pole sure freed up some room. 2 dog night. Even though it was windy, it was 16 outside and 28 under the tarp.

SL3 from tree

I'd lent a buddy all my backpacking stoves so he could try them out. I grabbed a butane stove for this trip. Worked nice. Steak, mushrooms, onions, asparagus, roasted potatoes. I'm starting to think FBC is over-rated.

dinner2

On the way out on a cold Sunday morning.

Really should have done this when the aspen's were turning in September.

aspens

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Great report. It is cool that you have 2 good dogs to share the trip with. I have dreams of doing the CT someday

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Randy,
    Thank you for your trip report. Scenery, solitude, great grub, and a shagrai-la 3 with built in doggy heaters. This is the recipe for joy to the world and peace and inner happiness. You reminded me that trips do not need to long to be gratifying.

Hug your dogs and kiss your wife,

Bill (hoot)

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Thanks guys. Ben, if you do the CT in the future and need help with logistics, let me know. I live near the first 5 sections.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools