Topic

Pitching Bivy without Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pitching Bivy without Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

I have a Borah Bug Bivy that I like to pitch just to keep the bugs away even when I don't have a tarp set up. It's easy to tie the face net to the pole to keep it off my face when the tarp is set up and I've tied to to low branches when I'm around trees. I'm trying to think of away to pitch the bivy off my face when I'm not setting up the tarp and aren't around trees. I don't like the wear a hat idea to keep the net off my face.

I have some cuben fiber tarp poles and I was thinking that I could potentially lash one of my stronger stakes to the bottom of the pole and insert it into the ground just to have one pole sticking up that I could tie off the bivy too…

Has anyone ever done this before? Anyone have any ideas on how to leash the stake to the pole?

Thanks!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I would just use your smaller CF pole and run a bungee cord from the Bivy, wrapped around the pole and hooked onto your stake. Lashing a stake directly to your pole would not be very strong and could easily be pulled over by your movement in the Bivy.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I have successfully used rocks to solidify the trekking pole. k

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks guys, looks good in the pic.

If I just loop the tie out to the top of the pole to a stake wouldn't the pole just fall over?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

pretty simple, just use a few stakes if you need to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools