Topic

Water bottle camera mount

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Water bottle camera mount

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

My usual backpacking photography kit consists of my 5oz camera and my 1.5oz gorillapod. I recently acquired a smaller camera (the 2.9oz Samsung ST30) and I have been looking for a lighter alternative to the gorillapod.

I had an old mini-tripod, so I dissected it for the mounting screw and ball joint. The mounting screw is aluminum, and the socket component of the ball joint looks like nylon. I drilled a hole in a SmartWater bottle cap, pushed the ball-joint into the opening (it snapped in nicely) and secured it with methacrylate glue.

I failed to weigh the unmodified cap beforehand, but the modified cap weighs 4 grams. The platypus cap next to it in the photo below weighs 6 grams.

cap

cap2

cap3

cap3

It is very stable with the camera attached, despite the position of the mounting point on the camera. The ball joint allows the camera to be pointed up or down or swivelled around.

cap4

cap5

cap6

I inverted the bottle and squeezed it hard and the modified cap doesn't appear to leak.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Clever.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

just make sure you only need to take photos when your water bottle is full!

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Yes, it wouldn't work when the bottle is empty. This bottle is very narrow, though. I would guess that a shorter, wider bottle would be stable with just a few ounces of water in it (in the absence of wind).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools