Topic

Meetup – Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. – Jan. 11-13

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Meetup – Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. – Jan. 11-13

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

You need them on BLM land, too.

While Yosemite sits within a national forest (Stanislaus), Yosemite proper is a park and it is not needed within those boundaries.

-mox

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"While Yosemite sits within a national forest (Stanislaus), "

Mike, this is not accurate.

Yosemite sits adjacent to Stanislaus N.F., but also to Toiyabe N.F. and Sierra N.F.

–B.G.–

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

You are correct, suh!

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yose_guide_map.pdf

I thought Stanislaus completely surrounded Yosemite, and the others bordered Stanislaus …. thanks for correcting!

-mox

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I'm bringing a snow shovel too.

As far as foods go, mostly just the usual dehydrated meals for me. No Cliff bars or the like. Kind bars, Frontier Bites, Honey Stinger waffles. I'm sleepin with a couple of things to keep them from freezing… including my camera batteries :)

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Camp fire permit – You don't need one for inside the park. I should have stated that.
    I posted that because it's the start of the year and you will need it for other trips.
    I happened to pull mine today so it was on my mind. I guess I could of started a new thread. Sorry about any confusion!
    Rick

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm bringing my shovel, and a machete for making an igloo, hopefully Marc will have one started if not finished by the time I get there.

For lunch it will be Mountain House New Orleans Rice with shrimp and ham, this is about the only one that I'll eat, then for dinner it's Frito, hot dog, chili cheese boat's, and for breakfast just plain oat meal and some cocoa.

I'm ready, lets do this, yeah!

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Jack, I'm interested in helping with the igloo.

I'll be arriving and camping at Wawona this evening (Thur).

Friday morning I'm not sure if I'll be skiing or just hanging out near Badger Pass but would like an idea what time to be looking for your guys.

I drive a Forrest Green Subaru Legacy.

Rick

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

@ Richard,

I'm shooting for an 8:00 am trail head arrival.

Here's my thinking on the igloo or snow cave.

I would like to build as many as possible, that way the people that don't have the gear to make it through the low temps can stay in an igloo were the temps should stay around 30* instead of the predicted 12* for the rest of us.

I would like to use the igloo myself, but would rather see someone else use it if they need it, this all depends on the snow condtions of course.

We'll be in a white 2005 Toyota Camry

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Richard
    I think Jack will be arriving on Saturday morning, not Friday. A few of us will be leaving the Modesto area around 10:30/11:00 tomorrow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

As a general rule in Yosemite, igloos don't work unless you have the special igloo tool. It normally requires very solid snow for an igloo. If you have hard styrofoam snow, then it is possible to saw it with a snow saw, but I doubt that a machete will do much since it doesn't have teeth.

snow saw

This image shows the kind of proper snow saw that we've used in California. You will notice the aggressive teeth. Cut on the pull stroke.

In Yosemite, a snow cave generally works better, especially if you have the right slope in a hillside. If the snow is too shallow, then a quinzhee works better. Just shovel the snow into one big pile, let it sinter for a while, and then dig out the center. But there you need a short-handled spoon-shaped shovel. You also need to have your rain gear on since it gets to be a very wet job.

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools