Topic

Meetup – Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. – Jan. 11-13

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Meetup – Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. – Jan. 11-13

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Where: Dewey Pt out of Badger Pass Ski Area
    When: January 11-13 (additional days mid-week could be added depending on interest)
    Distance: 4 or 3.5 Mi, depending which trail you take to get there
    Difficulty: Easy
    Travel: Bring chains. There will be travel restrictions on Glacier Pt Road.
    Who: BPLers and their friends. No dogs per park rules.

j Dewey Point

Wilderness Permits are required. 15 people per permit. Blank permits are on the outside of the Badger Pass Ranger Station. They do not have a quota system in the winter. Park in the overnight parking only. It is marked.

As requested, I am starting a headcount list with the day people plan to show up (Friday or Saturday).

David – Friday
    Jacob – Friday
    Jack + son – Saturday
    Kat – Friday
    Marc – Friday
    Rick – Friday
    Adam – Friday
    Brian – Saturday
    Andy – Saturday
    Kevin – Saturday
    Chris – Saturday
    Richard – ?
    Kevin – Maybe
    Mike – ?
    Jack- ?

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I'm in.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

mee2

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I need to move south a bit. Can't wait for S.M.A.R.T. to get to Petaluma. I'm missing too many good trips with you guys.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Jack Elliot PM'd me and says he is likely in for Saturday night. He can't post for some reason.

Ken – It would be nice if you could join us more often. At least there is a lot of great backpacking close to you and we have a first class trip organizer/host upstate. People are willing to come to you.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Per my phone message Dave, I am tentative. Also, this is the trip that I was putting together so if anyone was expressing interest in that one, this is one in the same

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Yea I can post again, thanks Roger C. for all the help.

I'm in plus some friends, I think Adam Criswell, Brian Conrad, Andy Glass. Kevin Smith, and maybe a friend from work. Brian and Andy were the 2 guys that we met there 2 years ago in that blizzard, BRING ON THE SNOW!

I'll, keep you posted.

Jack

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Very interested for Saturday night, possibly +1. Are you planning on hiking in on Friday?

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

Hi Guys,

I am totally in for this trip!

Adam C.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Great group so far and more are still welcome.

Chris- I was thinking of taking Friday off or maybe working a half day and hiking or skiing in Friday. I am guessing most people are in for Saturday. Is anyone else interested in starting Friday?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'm interested in hiking in on Fri., but just not possible. My son may be going also.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm interested In Saturday night, also possibly +1. Sounds like fun!

Andrew

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

I would be interested in going in on Friday. I will see if I can get the day off.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I'm interested on Friday but won't know more until the end of the month

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I missed last years fun in the snow at Dewey Pt so I'm going to give it another go.
    It will be fun as always!
    BTW – I'll be in Yosemite for New Years.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I need to hurry up and get my gear… which santa is helping out with.

But I'd like to attend if there is room.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Definitely still room. Don't let a lack of gear stop you. I know a lot of people coming have two or three of everything and may be able to help. Just post what you think you need to borrow.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Two years ago I talked to the ranger at the A frame hut at Badger Pass about this topic. The permit requires you to take proper care with food storage but as of 2010 did not require the Bear canisters. the Yosemite bears as well as other critters are active during the winter. We used OP sacks and buried our food away from the tents just in case.

The permit also prohibits the gathering and burning of wood.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

David, can we find out how many people are allowed to actually go i.e.. quota. We may hike in late Fri. on your permit. I don't want to get there Sat. morning to find out that the quota has been filled already. Our head count is around 12-13 right now. I think my son wants to go also, he's never been winter hiking so I'll have to lend him some gear. If you call, will they give you the quota number for Dewy Point?

Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Hey guys, looks like I am out unfortunately. I just started a second job and I have to work. Have fun!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I would like to join . I can take Friday off and possibly carpool with someone?
    Can't wait!

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

The dates are for a Fri-Sun trip … for those of us who cannot get Friday completely off, can you post the rough itinerary so we can possibly drive up Friday evening/night and figure out where you all are at? :)

Thanks!

-mox

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

I have the Friday off, so I would like to hike out then. I have also taken a couple of days before off and will possibly be camping in the valley to do some winter photography. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I was up in Yosemite for the last 5 days. 1 1/2' of snow in the Valley and lots up at Badger Pass. Nights at Badger have been in the teens and twenties during the day.
    I spoke with the Rangers at Badger Pass. 15 people per permit. Blank permits are on the outside of the Badger Pass Ranger Station. They do not have a quota system in the winter. Park in the overnight parking only. It is marked.
    I'm looking forward to the trip. It will be a blast!

This photo was taken on the drive out of Badger Pass.Badger Pass road over New Year's Holiday - Lots of Snow!!!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Nice Richard,

Thanks for the update, I can't wait.

Jack

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools