Topic

New Zimmerbuilt Pack On The Way…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Zimmerbuilt Pack On The Way…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Another beautiful Zimmerbuilt custom…Xpac and Dyneema, 45L main volume, 59L overall, AL loop frame…31oz.

Chris was a pleasure to work with.

Can't wait to get the pack…hopefully by mid-week…heading out to the Ozark Trail for 50-60 miles next weekend.

New Zimmerbuilt Front

New Zimmerbuilt Side

New Zimmerbuilt Back

-Mark in St. Louis

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Quite a beauty.

I've always admired Chris' work. Very functional and aesthetically pleasing as well. Really like the little pockets on each side. Good use of space and I really like the facts theres some place to put small things that is outside the main pack body so I can get to them easily.

Merry Christmas.

edited for clarity

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

I agree…I think the side pockets are gonna be really nice for snacks/med/headlamp/etc.

Merry Xmas to you as well…

-Mark

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I've been manfully resisting the e-mail to Zimmerbuilt….this might tip the balance; fine looking pack.

My eye's are already watering as I think of the import taxes and customs charges to the UK :-(

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Ed…The obvious solution is to arrange some hiking time here in the US…have Chris make you a pack and have it shipped to your hotel before your hike…you go home with new experiences, new perspectives, and a fresh(ish) new pack! ;)

Easy peasy.

-Mark

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Sounds like a win-win situation :-)

I've picked up quite a bit of other gear that way with US trips; had not really thought of doing it with a pack.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

There's no one cranking out such a variety of esthetically pleasing packs. Zimmer puts the art into backpack making!

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Did you ever post pics of the 2nd iteration of your Zimmerbuilt pack???

-Mark

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Yes, Mark. Here's a post: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58893

I've only used it on three trips this yr but really like it. I ended up replacing the padded waist belt with 3/4" webbing. I also replaced the sternum whistle with a lighter version and trimmed all the bungees and straps.

Weight, including shoulder strap pocket is 10.08 oz. I'm now questioning my needs for the load lifters on this pack. Might strip those in the future. Would get the wt down to the mid 9 oz range.

FWIW, my total loads in this pack have been under 10 lbs (one at 7.25).

Holler if you have questions.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Rusty…I didn't realize the Zen pack was yours as well. Looks like the perfect summer or overnighter (I'm not quite at that UL stage yet). What are your feelings on the Cuben's longevity?

My pack actually drew inspiration from the Mahan, Gowler, Fogarty, and Exposure/Zen packs.

Has the shockcord compression on the Exposure or the Zen proved a better design??

TA
    -Mark

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

"Rusty…I didn't realize the Zen pack was yours as well".

Even had a hand in the name.:)

"Looks like the perfect summer or overnighter (I'm not quite at that UL stage yet)."

So far, I've only used it on overnighters. I keep whittling at and fiddling with my gear though so am thinking it'll work fine on 4-day summer trips.

"What are your feelings on the Cuben's longevity?"

I don't have enough experience with cuben to opine much. So far, from what I have seen with my cuben shelter and have read here, I have no concerns. I consider myself very careful with my gear though.

"My pack actually drew inspiration from the Mahan, Gowler, Fogarty, and Exposure/Zen packs."

Is your pack on Zimmer's site?

"Has the shockcord compression on the Exposure or the Zen proved a better design??"

For real compression, where I'm actually trying to make the pack trimmer, I prefer straps over shock cord. For simply taking up slack in the pack, the shock cord would be dandy, I think….but, considering that I put my sleeping bag in the pack sans stuff sack, and the fact the pack is small, I don't use the shock cords for that. I have no slack in this pack. I do however like how easy it is to hold stuff down on the exterior of the pack with the shock cords compared to straps. Hope that answers your question.

r

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Rusty…My pack was just finished Friday…I don't think Chris has added any new packs to his site in a bit (from what I can tell).

I was asking if the shockcord set-up on the Exposure or the shock cord set-up on the Zen works better (they seem a little different)???

TA
    -Mark

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

"I was asking if the shockcord set-up on the Exposure or the shock cord set-up on the Zen works better (they seem a little different)???"

Oh, sorry. I like the Zen's set-up better. The shock cord runs over the top compressing it a bit. Makes the lid easier to close….and, though it doesn't matter, I like the way it looks better too…the top of the pack tapering, thinner in profile.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Great quality. Should last many years.

I prefer removable, zippered side pockets to open top pockets but that large "shovel pouch" on the front is great.

My REI UL 60 has that shovel pocket too. I use it all the time – ground cloth and other stuff resides there. If I know it may rain my WPB parka goes there for fast retrieval.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

I'm hoping I have the best of both world covered with this pack…

Lots of open pocket space (I agree about the "shovel" pocket) and the open side pockets are HUGE compared to my Aether 60, which are practically useless with a Nalgene or other 1L bottle in them!

I like to use the shovel pocket for my tent (TT Notch), Tyvek groundsheet, and I think my pad (NeoAir All Season) will fit now. In the past I stuck my shell back there…but…now I have the shockcord set-up on top of the pocket, to boot!

I just got the pack in an hour ago or so…stuck an old motorcycle back pad in the sleeve (+ 3 oz.)…just need to load her up and trim the excess webbing tonight.

Looking forward to testing her out this weekend on the OT.

-Mark

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

So…Anyone have any pointers for setting up/adjusting the aluminum stays on my Zimmerbuilt (Gossamer Gear are similar as well…no?)???

TIA
    -Mark

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Pull em out.

Bend them to the contour of your back.

Put em back in. (careful to remember the front from back)

Enjoy.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Sounds good on paper…but…

Are you having someone take a pic (so you can judge the result)?

How do you determine the curvature of your back?

Loaded or unloaded??

TA
    -Mark

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I hold it against my back, standing sideways, and look in the in the mirror. You just have to observe where it sits with a loaded pack. Like the stays ending at the iliac crest, or an inch below, etc…

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Thanx Barry…

-Mark

David Ure

@familyguy

Make sure to take a piece of paper and trace the stays after each adjustment and subsequent test so you can adjust perfect fit as necessary.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I don't use stays anymore but when I do I don't make a profile match of my spine.

Instead I curve it more drastic, with most of the bend pushing into my lower back, gives it a dynamic springy feeling.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Thanx guys…Hopefully I got them where I need them.

I guess I'll know soon enough…

-Mark

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools