Topic

Is the arm/hood heavy distribution of the down in the eb peak xv not good for winter camp/rest stop use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is the arm/hood heavy distribution of the down in the eb peak xv not good for winter camp/rest stop use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Has anyone found that the latest model peak xv is not as warm for camp rest stop use as its supposed fill weight of ~12 oz would suggest? We picked up a pair at the black friday sale and they seem to have less down and loft in the toso then my old montbell alpine down jacket (the older baffled one similar to a frostline without a hood).

This layout might make sense in a coat designed to keep the extermities warm during active use in extreme conditions but we want something for camp and rest stop use in the northern rockies where core warmth seems more/equally important.

Has anyone used the peak xv in these conditions and found it sufficient or lacking? Or can anyone suggest a lighter jacket with similar fill weight and a more overstuffed torso. Something like the mec reflex would seem like the obvious choice for cost/weight/warmth but it is no longer available from their…is there a similar coat from another maker?

We will do some light (on the porch without removing the tags) testing of the peak xv's vs the das and alpine when the temperature drops later this week and I will report back.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

You have the option of combining it with a vest. Doesn't even have to be a down vest- a trail vest made of fleece or synthetic is good to keep your core warm anyways.

I have the Men's ED Slim from C.A.M.P. and I like the weight- it feels consistent through the torso and arms. However, it's sized for Italy so the Large fits me like a Medium, and barely.

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Thanks for the suggestion, I am a big fan of camp gear but that jacket looks like it has less down and a sewn through construction?

I've thought about a vest or layering more thinner jacket but I feel that one big jacket makes more sense for me because I would like to be able to throw it on at even short rest stops. Also, as a type one diabetic i have to keep my insulin and supplies warm close to my skin and it gets hard to get to them when i am wearing too many layers.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi,

Contact Eddie Bauer support and they will organise a replacement for you.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Max is right about the vest combo. Even my light Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (in my avatar photo) combined with a 200 wt. fleece vest and an eVent parka & wool stocking hat is very warm.

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Thanks Guys,

I have an old micropuff vest I use sometimes … I'm already wearing a fair number of layers and a really warm down coat is still going to be needed. I don't think my peak is defective…just wondering if a coat with a different design could be warmer for less weight or if there were are any standout, similarly affordable, models that i am missing.

Typical use case is skinning up a windy/stormy high elevation ridge line in temps <10 F wearing patagonia r1 bottoms and hoody plus softshell pants and top. At stops I throw on a nano puff pullove and wool hat and the das over that but find I am too cold within a few minutes. "Don't stop for that long" or climbing in a bothy has worked so far but doesn't leave much margin for emergencies … or camping.

I did some tests on the porch at 32 F and it is forecast to get down to 16 F tonight so I will do some more. The peak xv is definitely warmer then the other coats… the montbell (this one: http://www.omcgear.com/montbell-alpine-down-jacket-men-s.html with 6 oz down, not the alpine light which isn't baffled) does amazingly well for the weight but gets cold spots and doesn't cut the wind. My impression is that it has more room in the baffled boxes through the torso and a lighter fabric to maximize the loft of the down.

The peak xv has much more down stuffed into it, especially around the shoulders where the montbell is thin in places and gets cold spots. It also has a heavy and weatherproof outer shell but doesn't maximize the loft around the core as well.

If i was rich I would like to to compare it to the montbell permafrost, rab neutrino plus and jannu, brooks range alpini, mountain equipment K7, or maestro and other baffled models with 9-15 oz of down from ff and wm etc as I suspect the peak xv is heavier then it needs to be but those models are all much more expensive and and I haven't seem them locally (the bitterroot valley near missoula, mt) to check out.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

For what it's worth, I have routinely used my Peak XV in temps around 7-20 degrees. Even at 7-10 degrees I'm pretty comfortable doing minor sedentary tasks like melting snow.

I bought the peak XV the first year eddie bauer came out with the first ascent line (I think that was 2009? maybe 2010), and I know there have been minor tweaks since then (e.g., strategically placed higher denier fabric panels). However, when I examine my jacket, I actually find the torso area more lofty than the arms. Specifically, the 2nd and 3rd baffle from the top (right where the user's chest and top abs would be) are loft-monsters. I'm not sure if they've redistributed the down placement since my version.

Strange, because the whole point of the peak xv is to be a belay/rest stop jacket…and largely geared to those customers who take guided trips on rainier and take breaks on the hour every hour. I would think that the jacket is designed in a way where the down is distributed to keep the core warm, and NOT too focused on the extremities. The full blown peak XV down suit seems to be the piece geared towards active use, whereas the peak xv is just a simple, throw over all your layers parka. The sizing of the peak xv also appears to support this, as it layers perfectly over all base/mid/shell layers of the corresponding size.

Also, as far as comparisons go, Richard did some testing on various puffys in the past, and rated the Peak XV as on par with the FF Front Point. You can read about it here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=24988

Here are some more test results: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28404&skip_to_post=236427

Like you, I got my Peak XV at a screaming deal. However, in my research, I recall that the MEC reflex was a much more efficient jacket in terms of warmth/weight, but at the sacrifice of durability. My girlfriend owns the women's MEC reflex, and it's an awesome awesome jacket and perfect for general snow camping and winter activities that don't involve too many points, picks and other fun sharp toys. I'm not sure if that jacket is permanently discontinued or not…I haven't seen it in a while, and I'm not too up to speed on whether it was simply renamed this season etc.
    Hope this helps!

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I have the old Montbell Alpine jacket that is baffled, and use that around town as it is light and warm enough when getting in and out of my car. But I wouldn't trust it for use in the backcountry for an extended amount iof time in temps below 20F.

I had the chance to use my Valandre Immelman last weekend out at the City of Rocks in NW Utah/Southern ID. A winter storm blew in with high winds and blowing snow, with the temps dropping around to 20F or so. I pulled out my Immelman and it was toasty warm, even in the wind, standing around in camp, but I quickly overheated when we starting hiking. Two observations about the Immelman is that it has a lot of separate chambers in the torso region, and each chamber is overstuffed with down, almost to the point of being too much. Down shifting or voids are out if the question. I think the down load is 12 oz., and the jacket is 34 oz., so it is not a light jacket, but I would feel safe in using it to -10F with a merino base layer. Very expensive even at MAP pricing, ($645), but it is a very warm jacket in my personal experience.

Disclaimer- I am a Valandre retailer and test their gear often.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools