Topic

Mileage estimates

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mileage estimates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

So I got into backpacking about 2 years ago and have since went on many short trips (long weekends) due to my job and such. I'm finally getting a good chunk of time off this summer to do the JMT and I'm wondering what metrics you guys/gals use to judge sustainable daily mileage. I realize there are a lot of factors that play into this but I'm curious as to how one plans out resupply points and such. Yes the question is a bit silly since it differs so much among individuals but how did you plan (or maybe not plan) out your first long distance hike re-supply points?

Thanks,

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Not silly at all. But very difficult for us to answer for you. When I was young, I would regularly hike 12+ miles a day with a 45+ pound pack, and often much farther than that. These days (now 60) that seems like a lot. The factors that will affect your mileage totals are things like the steepness of the terrain, the weight of your pack, your age and physical condition, and your goals for the hike.

If you are young, in shape, and focused on a through-hike of the JMT, you might be able to do it in one go–figure about 12 days and 17+ miles a day.

But I would never do it that way. I'd take 15-20 days, and re-supply half-way along, which is what most people do. That allows me to keep my pack at a reasonable weight, carrying food for only eight-ten days. And it also allows me to occasionally look up and see the scenery, and maybe even catch a few fish.

And your mileage may…no, certainly will vary.

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks.

So I'm sure I could probably look this information up somewhere but it's always great to get "first-hand" advice. So lets say I pick a resupply point, ship some stuff, and don't make it there in time. Is there a general rule for how long they'll keep it? Although this probably differs per location I'm sure. For something like the JMT this doesn't sound like that *big* of a deal with it only being 1 or maybe 2 points but for something like the PCT where months of planning in advance is needed it seems pretty vital and difficult to re-route packages if the pace drastically changes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools