Topic

sewing fingerless gloves.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sewing fingerless gloves.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

I have the crazy notion to make fingerless gloves….

I was inside the local military surplus store and saw a pair of knit fingerless gloves, and it got me to thinking….

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on where to start?

Z.

I guess I could just buy a pair and dissect them, but that is too easy…

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Just google "fleece fingerless gloves pattern" and you'll find all sorts of them.

You could make them out of an old sweater from Goodwill, too…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made a pair of fingerless gloves out of fleece. Made a pattern just tracing around my fingers and hand. Made it a little bigger. Fleece stretches so it's forgiving.

Then I made a pair of fingerless mittens. I like these better. They're good, like, for preparing breakfast and coffee.

mitt

Here's how to make it. Mitten inside out, flattened. Sewn along the perimeter.

mitt2

You could make fingerless gloves the same way.

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

I made and use something similar out of old wool socks. Just cut the toes off of the sock, then cut a slit on the side for your thumb, reinforce the ends of the slit so it can't spread, and voila!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Basically a tube with a slit in the side for your thumb. reiforce the edges and you should be fine. No need for a pattern really =P

Or just find some cheap gloves and cut off the finger tips ;)

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

If you're going to do anything that requires dexterity, keep in mind your thumb is not on the side of you hand, it's on the front, and the two pieces of the pattern need to be different. That probably doesn't matter, of you're making a ingerless mitten, but it does for things with fingers.

I made a pair of lobster mittens that I wear while riding in moderately cold weather lobster mitten

lobster mitten

It took a couple iterations to get a workable version that I could ride in, but it's easy enough.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That green color really goes with the alien look. Nice work!

You can find fleece blankets in thrift stores by the truck load and there's always a Snuggly to repurpose :)

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Awesome lobster gloves!

4 words.

Teenage. Mutant. Ninja. Turtles!!!

Thanks for the flashback of early morning saturdays, bowl of cereal on the living room floor and the TV on. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools