Topic

Layering while sleeping in a down bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Layering while sleeping in a down bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

dont ask me how i know that =P

Bearhugging? ;)

You guys are talking two different things. Cold vs wet and cold.

the wetter it is the more important synth on the outside is. If its dry and cold it doesnt matter as much- unless you are sweating then it turns back to wet and cold. (and drop a layer and it wont matter anymore)

eric is from PNW- always wet so he defaults to thinking that way. (me too)

That being said i sleep in synth clothing in my down bag.

(Do as I say, not as I do) :P

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

mmmm … bears are sooo warm ;)

i think its better to say that i default to absolutely and utterly keeping your down sleeping bag dry …. i use more a synth bag these days so its not a concern as much … but IMO down must be kept dry no matter what, especially any bags … everything else can be a sacrifice to the BPL gods …

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

INSIDE LAYERING:
    > polyester long john tops & bottoms (thin or expedition wt., depending on temps)
    > insulated jacket & pants (down or synthetic fill, like Climashield)
    > heavy "sleep socks"
    > balaclava (THE most important part of inside layering)
    > thin glove liners (you learn this really helps)
    > Hobbit "Second Dinner" before bed to fuel the furnace (& "layer" on more fat ;o)

OUTSIDE LAYERING:
    > "bag topper" down mummy shaped that covers the top & sides and attatches with Velcro or summer quilt over yer bag
    > Rain parka zipped up and put over the foot of the bag (keeps bag exterior dry too)
    > thick layer of dry leaves under your tent floor or groundcloth. (works very well)
    > bivy sack
    > tent or fairly closed down tarp

NOTE: For very cold winter camping you may need a face mask too. Noses can get uncomfortably cold.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools