Topic

Best UL 2 person Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best UL 2 person Shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Michael S
    BPL Member

@cascadebackpacker

Locale: Pacific NW

I'm looking at purchasing a new 2 person shelter. My requirements and preferences are as follows:

1. Shelter shall hold 2 people (max person is 6' tall w/ medium build)

2. Shelter shall be capable of 3-season use (won't be used for winter camping)

3. Prefer a double-wall shelter for flexibility of pitching just inner or just outer fly as environmental conditions allow

4. Shelter shall have 2 doors for entry/exit

5. Shelter shall have at least one vestibule that can hold 2 50L backpacks and 2 pair of trail shoes

6. Shelter shall allow max person (6' tall adult) to be able to sit up without their head touching roof

7. Shelter total weight w/ all needed components shall be under 3lb

8. Prefer product that is made in USA

9. Shelter price shall be <$400

I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge/feedback/advice.

Note: My use of "shall" indicates a requirement that must be met while my use of "prefer" is not necessarily a requirement.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Double Rainbow. Single wall, but meets all the other criteria. A very good shelter and Made in the USA!

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html#specs

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The Tarptent Stratospire 2 meets all your requirements.
    http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html#overview

So does the combination of the Six Moon Designs Haven tarp and Haven net tent, which results in a double-wall tent with net inner.
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/HavenTarp.html
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/nettents/HavenNetTent.html

For other ideas, check out this comparison sheet of lightweight 2 person tents from John Abela.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkDBpEtGkJYodGF3dE0zeW41bC0yZEUxQlZURm5vLXc#gid=0

Michael S
    BPL Member

@cascadebackpacker

Thanks, the Tarptent Stratospire 2 and Six Moon Haven definitely meet my requirements. I'm wondering if any owners or users of these two shelters can provide any feedback on any weaknesses of these shelters?

For example, any durability type issues or concerns. Thanks in advance.

Also, anybody have any other shelter candidates besides the 3 that have been mentioned?

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Not listed as a two person tent but more than enough room for two average sized people or two friendly bigger people and plenty of headroom. It also has tons of length for stretching out or for putting your backpacks inside. It is a hybrid double wall shelter with some singlewall, but the ventilation is great with all the screen. The sil version is under $300 and less than 2 pounds, with two vestibules and two doors. Check it out!! I have loved using mine!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Double Rainbow. Single wall, but meets all the other criteria. A very good shelter and Made in the USA!"

+1 A very easy to set up, stable tent with ample head room. It is also quite storm worthy for a 3 season tent.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Big Sky Evolution 2P (website below) appears to meet your specs —

1. holds 2 people up to 6' 6" (see diagram linked at website below)

2. 3-season use

3. double-wall shelter

4. 2 doors for entry/exit

5. 2 vestibules that can each hold a 50L backpack and pair of trail shoes

6. 6' adult able to sit up without head touching roof

7. per description at the website linked below, total weight w/all needed components less than 3 lbs (not counting a footprint — but is that a "needed" item?)

8. probably not made in USA, but don't know for sure

9. price <$400

http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-Evolution-2P-shelter.aspx

The other suggestions made above sound very good, too; however, we haven't used any of those tents but have used the Evolution 2P for the past three years.

Our Evolution weighs 3 lbs 8 oz, a half pound more than your 3 lb spec, but that includes a footprint (6.75 oz) along with 4 extra stakes (1.44 oz) for guying the fly more securely if needed. Plus we have the pole sleeve option (weightier?) rather than clips.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I own the StratoSpire 2, and just recently picked up the StratoSpire 1 in addition because I've been so impressed with the design. It takes some practice to pitch the SS2, given the atypical geometry. If you buy one make sure you figure out how to pitch it before you take it into the backcountry. Site selection is important, as the generous interior plus two large vestibules make for a significant footprint. It pitches well on level ground, but can be a bit of a head-scratcher to get right on uneven surfaces. Wind-shedding is this tent's strength, in spite of the headroom afforded by the two trekking poles. The StratoSpire was designed first and foremost as a 2P shelter, with the SS1 derived from the SS2's design. To me that's a real positive; so many 2P tents are merely upsized versions of a solo, or attempts to downsize a 3P – and they can be horribly compromised. Perhaps it's my familiarity with the SS2, but I find it easier to pitch well than the SS1.

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

I was able to pick one up at an REI garage sale for $150. It's been a joy to use. The tent is narrow but has plenty of space at the foot/head.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

how to pitch the SS2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw&index=16
    Unedited version of my second attempt…

Michael S
    BPL Member

@cascadebackpacker

Thanks again for all the feedback. This of course is my quest to find the "Best UL 2 person Shelter, for me based on my requirements.

With your help, I've now narrowed it down to 2 shelters, the Tarptent Stratospire 2 and the Six Moon Designs Haven.

Both of these are double wall shelters and allow the use of trekking poles. Both keep the trekking poles outside of the interior netting. Since I always use trekking poles, I like the idea of not carrying an extra set of poles that have only a single use.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I just ordered a TT Scarp 2 mainly for winter use W/ the optional crossing poles.

But it can be used 3 season W/O the weight of the crossing poles AND with an optional full mesh interior, making it a bit lighter.

So for 2 person, double wall tent versatility the Scarp 2 seems to be one of the very best out there.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Agreed the Scarp is designed for greater snow load tolerance than the Stratospire, with the optional crossing poles. However, it's significantly heavier and has much less liveable interior space. The OP asked about 3 season 2P shelters, which is why I steered him toward the Stratospire. That's not to denigrate your recommendation or the Scarp itself; however that seems overkill for his desired use.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I agree, for THREE season use Henry's Stratospire, using 2 walking sticks, is about the lightest 2 person, double wall tent for the volume.

I was just making the versatility point for 4 season use, if the OP had any inclination for that use. The Stratospire could never work with any real snow load.

(Just got the word that my Scarp 2 will be shipped today or tomorrow. "New Item Worship" will soon ensue.)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

As I recall, Franco had some pics of the Stratospire holding up in a fair amount of snow, looking like about 6 inches. It evidently will resist some snow (such as in spring and fall mountain storms), just not the big stuff.

I was amazed when I looked them up that both the Stratospire 2 and the Haven exactly met the OP's specs! I knew they were close, but not that close!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Ss1 is a fine 3 season shelter, I noticed a massive difference in Wind restaunce using Black Diamond Flik look expedition poles compared to cheapo Walmart poles.

I was on a 3 nighter in Canada the Canadian Shield last weekend and it was a complete PITA to pitch on frozen uneven ground, my own fault as I should of brought my Soulo with me.

The Scarp is fine tent also but it not a 4 season tent.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I like your method Franco. I've always been meaning to try it, but I forgot about it in recent months. The idea makes a lot of sense.

I vote for the SS2 as well. I do find the setup a bit tricky if it's on undulating ground, but other than that it is outstanding. Quite spacious, 2 doors, big tall vestibules, double wall, 2.5 lbs etc.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

We have just completed a 10 week paddle down the Murray River in SE Australia (2200 km), and the SS2 was our shelter for 90% of the time (a few nights in cabins, one in hammocks, and a few in bivy bags).

This tent is awesome! It's spacious (much more so than my DR, which I have now sold), pitches well and quickly, and should be extremely stormworthy – we didn't have extreme weather to test this aspect out. Entry and exit is easy with double vestibules, ventilation is excellent – basically the design is superb.

The only problems we've had are due to user error – we poked a hole in fly with one of the spikes on the aftermarket carbon fibre poles we were using – easily fixed with SilNet. I've noticed a couple of tiny holes in the mesh which I'll sew up when we get home – could be from the mozzies chewing through eh Franco?

The only issue we had with the tent which I haven't sought advice about from Henry or Franco because it didn't end up being too difficult to live with, was that the zips on the net tent would stick when being opened from the inside. We got around that by reaching out and opening the zip using the external zip pull. This was only a minor PITA. Anyone else have this problem Franco or Henry?

But I can only endorse this tent wholeheartedly – it's excellent innovative design resulting in a tent that's a joy to use – and light to carry!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Karen,

Sounds like you had an amazing trip.

One things that annoyed me a bit is that the outer zip Is one way only so could not get enough ventilation in as the vents are very small.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

I can see what you mean Stephen, but this part of the country has very low humidity so we only experienced significant condensation on one night that I can remember.

And the last half of the trip was approaching summer, so we were able to sleep with the outer doors open a lot of the time.

Awesome tent – I love it!

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> One things that annoyed me a bit is that the outer zip Is one way only so could not get enough ventilation in as the vents are very small.

Both zippered ends have a shockcorded elastic loop precisely so that you can stake both door edges with a single stake and then unzip for ventilation while keeping the door edges close together.

-H

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> The only issue we had with the tent which I haven't sought advice about from Henry or Franco because it didn't end up being too difficult to live with, was that the zips on the net tent would stick when being opened from the inside. We got around that by reaching out and opening the zip using the external zip pull. This was only a minor PITA. Anyone else have this problem Franco or Henry?

Karen, can you send me a photo and/or contact me offline. I'm not sure I understand the problem although it sounds like maybe some mesh was too close to the slider and/or bound up when opening from inside,

-H

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Henry,

That's fair enough, not an option though when it's raining heavily if the wind is changing direction, a double zipper would allow the top few inches to be open with minimal rain entry, I often leave the down wind door opened using your method.

Cheers,

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> a double zipper would allow the top few inches to be open with minimal rain entry

I don't really follow this logic. Opening the zipper up high brings the opening closer to the interior compartment and higher chances for windy rain to actually impact your living space. Opening the zipper down low where the opening is very far from your living space allows for possible rain penetration where it doesn't matter.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

It's a feature I have used in other tents in the past as sometimes the vents are not adequate or other obstacles such as long grass or forest litter don't allow air flow form the bottom fly, in the Scarp I could get around this by raising the fly a bit on the pole.

No biggie, just my observation.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools