Topic

Winter trip help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Winter trip help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

Hey guys,
    I finish up grad school in December and start at my new job in late January. I really want to get a winter trip in before I start at my new job.

I want to spend a week to 10 days hiking/backpacking. I don't have any experience backpacking in the snow. I'm looking for a place with a lot of choices for day hiking and a easy first winter backpacking trip(1-2 nights). I'm interested getting input on how difficult trips would be or any additional information.

Trip Ideas-
    Yosemite Valley
    Moab
    Eastern Sierra
    Capitol Reff
    other suggestions

Thanks
    kevin

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I backpack then

Beach of Olympic Peninsula is unique. Like Third Beach to Toleak Point. But you have to look at weather reports, if it's heavy rain the whole time it's not so good.

Rogue River West of Grants Pass is pretty nice. I have heard the Lost Coast between San Francisco and Eureka. Those aren't quite as rainy as the Olympics but…

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

I miss my winters in the Central Oregon Cascades. Tons of winter trails for snowshoeing and X-country skiing. A gazillion miles of trail within 15 minutes of downtown Bend. It's where I'm going when I die.

kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

Rog any suggestion on where to go in canyonlands in the winter? I have a truck with high clearance but no 4 wheel drive.

Jerry thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the lost coast.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The Utah parks are great in winter. Needles dist. has lots of loop options and it's easy to shorten/lengthen the trip on the fly if needed. No need for 4wd. Here's a trip report from the Needles last Feb:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59349

That was an abnormal amount of snow for the area.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

Thats an great trip report Brendan. Needles look like a fun place. Thanks for the input everyone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools