Topic

What is the best wicking t-shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the best wicking t-shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

I love Mountain Hardwear Wicked tee. Sort or long sleeves.

Anthony Alpert
    BPL Member

@goby99

Locale: Trinity Alps

For $8 – $12 a shirt, I thought it was a good deal and worked great this weekend in the Trinity Alps.

Sonali Magdo

@sobe00

I agree with Francois, that merino wool takes a long time to dry relative to synthetic fibers. I just returned from a trek to Everest Base camp (March) and I was so excited to have my icebreaker merino wool shirts with me, because I knew that they wouldn't smell for the 5 days I would wear each of them (and they truly remained odor-free). But even though the temperature was often in the 40s-50s during the day, I would inevitably get a sweaty lower back from carrying my backpack, and the shirt would take forever to dry despite the dryness of the air in the Himalayas. So even though I love merino wool for its feel and insulation, I do not think it is accurate to say that it is a good moisture-wicking material.(I had the icebreaker 200 long sleeved tee and 150 short sleeved tee).

I also agree with all the posts about capilene being stinky…so now will be looking for yet another hiking shirt.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Personally, I find it hard to hike all day in the hot summer with even the thinnest of wool shirts. I wear synthetic during the day (the thinner the better, for ventilation), and usually bring a long sleeve merino shirt for the evenings. My favorite hiking shirt is an old adidas sleeveless that was thin to begin with and even thinner after to about 6 years of wear.

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I'll add a +1 for wool as the best of all worlds. Some weather conditions — very hot and very humid — are more comfortable in some synthetics, but in my experience, the smell factor overrides the extra comfort.

Thin wool — 140/150g fabrics — does very well. I've spent time in Texas and Hawaii, among other places, and done well in this in a broad range of temps.

In a perfect world, I'd recommend the Icebreaker Polos — Detour Polo is my favorite. Weighs 6.3oz in a medium, looks great out on the town and is comfy hiking in almost any temps. Expensive, though. I justified getting a pair of Icebreaker polos before my honeymoon to Hawaii last fall. Figured it made packing easy… two shirts that I wore 90% of the time there, and I could go from an 8-mile day hike to dinner at a fancy restaurant without changing shirts.

If all you want to do is athletic activities and be comfortable in the summer, then I'd recommend cacona synthetics — I've found them to have the best odor/comfort ratio of any of the synthetic fabrics. But when packing for a trip, they come in as runner-up to a good wool shirt.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Rail Riders Men's Eco-Speed-T. This is what I use in the desert once my summer tan is obtained.

It is a mesh-like material.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

as others have said … whatever runners use … theres no way youll sweat more than them in a normal hike

i prefer nike dri fit myself … you can get cheap running stretch shirts at wallymart/target, etc …

one thing no one has mentioned … size it TIGHT

the more skin tight it is … the better it wicks … loosey goosey shirts only hinder wicking

im never afraid to show off my ginourmous belly in the name of performance

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

Been wearing them for 10 years or so (not continuously – I've taken them off occasionally for washing) and although some of them do pill the price can be very right. I bought a few for my wife recently at like $6 each.
    Have fun,
    Steve

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

My two favorites:

1) Mountain Hardwear Super Wicked Shirt (has zip and collar for sun)

2) Patagonia SS Puckerwear shirt (outstanding in the heat 65/35 poly/cotton blend)

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

> but it is lighter than the lightest merino that i've ever seen.

Capilene 2 and 3 are not particularly light. You can find wool garments that weigh the same as Capilene 1 garments.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

+1 on the Walmart moisture wicking tees (brand is Starter DriStar). They're dirt cheap, light (4.7 ounces for a 2XL), and they wick moisture at least as well my (much more expensive) Brooks technical (running) shirts. Also, the material has a pretty good hand to it.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools