Topic

Arcteryx – great customer support (oh – and choices to make!!!)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arcteryx – great customer support (oh – and choices to make!!!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

Long story short:
    Had a 2005 model Arcteryx Paclite jacket. It severely delaminated suddenly in the past month or so. Emailed them etc and they just wrote in that they will replace it with a new piece – sweet!
    In reality I was on the verge of saying "Hey – might as well buy one of those new UL designs like the westcomb DVL or Montane minimus" but CSR saved the day for them. Good work!

Now for some advice: assuming my choices are:
    Alpha SL – full Paclite
    Alpha SL hybrid – Paclite + Proshell in high abrasion
    Alpha FL – GTX Activeshell all over (no pit zip)
    Alpha SL pullover – same as SL but Po style

comments?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I would probably get the lightest one that has the features you want. It's hard to say because for some people they will be wearing it through big snowstorms and in wet locations. Others will bring it for just in case emergencies and therefore it will remain in thier pack %95 of the time. However when it is cold and not wet, these shells do a good job of holding body heat in and blocking wind.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

all these jkts are mostly the same….apart from this difference.

So the dilemma is Pcalite with pitzips or Active without

If i understand correctly the activeshell is supposed to be AS WATERPROOF but more breathable than paclite (direct venting..?) and more abrasion resistant
    and its also in this case 70g less

am i missing something?

This will be my main jacket for 3 season stuff – which means it could be used for walking full days in the rain.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I just had to use their customer service to replace a jacket and it was great. Patagonia is awesome too.

I have an Alpha LT which is amazing. It's a very light, full-on mountain shell.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

@mike – yeah I get that the LT is Pro. but asking them to not only replace a 8 yr old jacket but to upgrade me 200CAD up is stretching it (+its heavier

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

The Alpha FL has gotten some great reviews and offers a trim fit. For me, it'd be between the SL Hybrid and the FL. I prefer a more trim fit and don't like pitzips – FL.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

@rick

as i said they are replacing an old jkt for free with obviously limited choices…the Proshell is 200CAD more.

If I were BUYING a new one i would look at new Westcomb DVL eVent or Montane minimus

why do Gore say active shell is NOT GOOD for hiking???

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Gore Active shell has proven itself as durable as one can expect, given its short time on the market. The Alpha FL in particular has been lauded for its durability.

Of course Gore has to come up with some marketing scheme to upsell you on their Pro shell. After all, PacLite is only for EMERGENCY summertime showers, not real elements. Then again, Gore tells us Windstopper isn't waterproof (yet a number of manufacturers seam tape those same jackets and use waterproof zips!)… I take their marketing with a grain of salt.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm trying to compile a list of good companies to buy gear from, as I have had disappointments in the past with poorly made products (Not happy with Columbia…). I'm glad to add Patagonia to my list, if people like what they get from them.

Has anyone had a good experience with Marmot?

They don't make gear, but if you get "in" with Zappos through a couple of large purchases, they absolutely baby you. I purchase everything I possibly can from them; sleeping bags, jackets, pants, you name it. If it doesn't work, even if I took it on a 30-day trip, they work with you to make things right.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

haha – yeah, they won't be giving you a pricier piece. I was merely showing my fondness for the lightweight Alphas. I'd consider going for the hybrid piece: strength and durability only where you need it.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have the Beta FL (similar to Alpha FL, but different cut and two handwarmer pockets). It is my favorite jacket. In cooler weather (50º and below), the Active Shell maintains comfort in line with eVent.

The jacket is plenty durable and has seen plenty of trail time. Every time I get caught on a branch or scrape on a rock, I think "this is it, I'm gonna damage it" but it comes unscathed every time.

Keep in mind that the cut is fairly trim. I can fit only a Nano Puff under it. The Alpha FL is even closer-fitting. You might want to size up if you like to layer a lot under your shell.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

thanks all for your input
    I guess ill risk it with the activeshell

just to rehash – I got great service from Arcteryx – so i'm a happy camper :)

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Good choice. The Active Shell is a great fabric

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools