Topic

Hexomid Solo Plus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hexomid Solo Plus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adam C

@nbd925

Locale: Montana

I was leaning toward purchasing this tent but would like to know how it works in the snow?

I know the Solomid or Duomid would be a better choice in a full snow load but how will the Hexomid Solo/Hexomid Solo + Hold up. I like the Hexomid for the ultralight do everything tent. What would this tent do if you got a foot or two of snow during the night.

Whats it like with the sides not going all the way to the ground in a storm? It looks like it is possible to low pitch this tent if it got bad enough.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I was under the impression that cuben didn't shed snow well, at least not as well as sil.

Edit- This touches on it
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66516

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Two things to think about:

1) The mesh netting on the floor has a big chance of freezing into the snow below you, making a serious problem.

2) The spindrift from blowing snow will blow right in no matter how low you pitch the hexamid.

Floorless shelters really excel on snow.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Having owned both (hexamid solo, and now own a hex duo – and having used a MLD Duomid for about 5 nights on snow…I'd say it is a clear and hands down winner for the DuoMid and a bivy under it if you really want to minimize spin drifts and add warmth… I agree with the previous posters that the netting underneath can freeze into the ground overnight, and the netting will not stop the snow (unless it is lightly falling) and it will stick to cuben MUCH more than silnylon (just rolls right down it), having just set up my Cuben tarp a few days ago to check for myself during a snowstorm (ALL the snow just sticks right to the cuben). Hex is an awesome tent, but it is just not a great 4 season tent.

Adam C

@nbd925

Locale: Montana

Wow thanks for the info. I'm laughing right now, thinking about how I did not foresee the net freezing in the snow and envisioning me that next morning. That is classic.

Cuben not good in snow, another thing I did not know. Thanks

Well I guess you need a couple tents in the (quiver) so to speak. No wonder Andrew Skurka choose the Sil Nylon for his endeavors. And here I thought he was just out of money and opted for Sil.

My stats: Male , 31, 6’4”, 230

I am using a Tarp Tent Stratospire 2 right now for an all purpose tent and it is working. I survived a foot of snow in it and about 12 degrees. Maybe the Hexomid Solo + would be a great 3 season tent to use when I need a light weight solo tent for the other seasons.

With my stats I think the Solomid would work but is the Duomid worth the extra room? Can you set the Duomid up with two Trecking Poles for more strength, if it gets nasty, like you can the Solomid? I have the long GG-LT4's

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I am 6'1" and 170 lbs and always buy 6'6" bags cause I like to move around at night. I used a Cuben Solomid for 5 months last year on my AT thru, and though an amazing shelter – I was pretty much touching each end of the tarp…with your height I would surely opt for the DuoMid and then offset the center pole so you can sleep at an angle (way more room for a small – but IMO needed increase in space for taller folks). Having that small increase in weight will not be a problem when you consider the added storage and personal space you will get for it. The main reason i sold my SoloMid was to try a DuoMid for the added room – and I must say it was worth it. The DuoMid has a larger footprint (to be expected) but not so large that I wasn't able to find snug little places to setup.

Chris Crowley
    Spectator

@8crow

Locale: Eastern Missouri

Adam–Hopefully I don't lead your post astray, but I think I have similar questions. It looks like folks are suggesting the solomid or duomid for snow partly because it can be staked down tight to the ground, is that right? From all the pics I've seen it's hard to tell. They look like the sides are up a little for venting but I can't tell if that's because it's the only way you can pitch or just because that's how they wanted to in that picture?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools