Topic

BPL Cocoon Vest comments sought

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Cocoon Vest comments sought

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am looking for a light down vest (I already have a 12oz something version) but a forum member has offered a Cocoon UL60 in L size(Polaguard Delta) .
    At 5'8" 155-160lbs (out of shape right now…) would the L size fit me and how do you like yours ?
    For comparison I was looking at something like the WM Flight/MontBell UL /Stoic Hadron in down.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Here's the link for BPL Cocoon sizing charts —

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_sizing_chart.html

I usually get size XL in shirts and jackets, and my XL Cocoon vest fits me comfortably worn over a mid-weight base layer and shirt without binding or being floppy loose.

As for my use of the vest, I haven't much experience with it since I usually take my Cocoon UL Hoody because it has a . . . well . . . it has a hood, which is nice for additional head warmth when used with my quilt.

If a time comes when I backpack where nights are not likely to get down close to freezing or below, I'll probably (might?) take the vest to eliminate about 4 ounces.

The insulation in the Cocoon Hoody provides outstanding warmth, and so I'd expect the vest to do the same.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thanks for that.
    I had a look at the chart but now I am more confused.
    Even size M has a 52" chest (?)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'm not certain, but I think the sizes are based off the actual measurements of the garment. Most other clothing manufacturers report sizes for the body that it will fit (ie a small fits a 38" chest may have actual vest measurments of 45" or more to comfortably layer over other clothing).

So 52" would be your chest diameter with all the clothes you plan to wear under the vest.

This is all conjecture though, it could just be that BPL got their sizing WAY off for their clothing, but that doesn't make too much sense to me.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

The 52" chest for size medium in the Cocoon may be designed that "huge" with the expectation that the Cocoon will be worn over other clothes (e.g., a base layer and a shirt). So the Cocoon is sized over-large in the chest area to avoid compressing or binding the Cocoon or any layering underneath.

Note also the waist size given in the Cocoon chart for Cocoon tops (for example, 37"-38" with "relaxed" waist of the XL Hoody) appears to be more in line with the waist size for a non-insulated XL jacket or shirt.

Also note the "fully stretched" waist size of 51"-52" for that XL Hoody (per the Cocoon chart), which allows the Cocoon Hoody's waist to more fully expand as needed to fit over insulated pants without compressing insulation of the top or the pants.

That's just my supposition. One thing I know for sure is that my XL Cocoon Hoody has a very comfortable fit over a light or mid-weight base layer and a shirt.

Maybe others have additional insights/experience, particularly with the vest that you're considering.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I'm 5'8, 150 lb, but have weighed up to 163. My medium cocoon hoody fits me well, with lots of room for layering. Length is well below hipbones. The large would not be an optimal fit.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thank you for the comments.
    Another member also conctacted with similar information.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools