Topic

Good light hiking pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good light hiking pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of pants that will provide a decent amount of warmth but are also good to like in? Not looking for anything down, I currently have pair of REi Endevor (sp?) pants which I like but I just realized how heavy they were. I've been thinking about getting some convertible pants to save weight but haven't like the ones I've tried on in the past.

Does anyone just bring a pair of think tights for warmth under shorts when needed and not actual pants? Thanks!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Steven

Have you tried on a pair of KUHL Liberator Convertible pants? I'm not sure what your REI pants weighed in at, but I absolutely love the versatility, fit, craftsmanship and lack of restriction with my pair of KUHLs. My 30"x30" pair weighs in at 13.9oz. Very unique, tough, comfortable fabric (different inside and out) and the waist band lies SUPER flat.

HTH

KJ

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

A year or so ago, I swapped over from convertable pants to Railriders Adventure Khaki Pants. Love them. I mostly swapped over to long pants for sun protection with a side benefit of saving a bit of weight by eliminating the zip-off feature. I find the RR Adventure Khaki pants to be comfortable, lightweight and great to hike in. They have a minimum niumber of pockets but that suites me just fine since I don't really like carrying much in my pants pockets.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks Guys,

Kenneth that was the pair of convertible pants I was looking at, do they have any stretch to them at all?

Thanks!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Steven

Yup. KUHL is very smart in their design. They have what I'd call hidden stretch zones. There is a split in the material just below the back waist band. The split is tied together with a material that has a slight stretch. Additionally, if you look at the stitching on the pockets, they have what I'd refer to as cupped pockets (aka – a butt-area shaped for a rear end). KUHL has then lined the back of the pockets in this same slight stretch material…that also seems to have decent air flow and therefore keep your butt from sticking to the pants when you get hot, allowing them to move more freely on you as you hike varied terrain.

…that may there have been the most elaborate description I've ever written on a pair of pants…

HTH

KJ

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Haha, thanks Kenneth! Last question, do they work well as just shorts? Does the zipper rub against your skin at all? Where does the inseam on the shorts fall in relation to your knee?

Thanks!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I hated the Kuhl pants and sent them back. Ideally, since a light pair of pants will keep you cool whether they're long or short in the summer, the idea of "convertible" pants doing anything seems to be marketing to me.

I am a skeptic, anyways.

When I got my Kuhl liberators, I liked the material but they were BAGGY, extremely baggy. They looked like they would get caught on everything, and I didn't even bother keeping them. I sent them back.

I picked up a pair of Mountain Hardwear Mesa Pants and have been thrilled. There isn't a ton of stretch (less than the Kuhl's) but the cut is loose in the thigh so you can climb over things. Thankfully, the cut in the calves is much thinner! They taper nicely without ever being fitted, but the fabric is out of the way from catching on your other boot or any briars along the trail.

These are my new adventure pants, and I am thrilled. Also, the pockets are fantastic- best I've ever used, all 5 of them.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've hiked in shorts and just brought tights for extra warmth instead of pants. I also had my Driducks pants to add for even more warmth. The coldest I've used this system was into the upper 30's (night time temps). While I was moving I was fine but at camp I draped my quilt over my legs.

As for pants, I've got a pair of Columbia convertible pants that I've used for years. The zip off legs are nice, though I mostly just zip them partially open to vent rather than take them all the way off. I'd like to get a "cooler" brand but even after 7 years of hiking and trail building the pants just keep going.

I've also got a pair of Mountain Khaki pants that are nice. They're nylon, not the heavy canvas like their Original Mountain Pants. The fit is a little more flattering but it doesn't have as many pockets as I'd like. Just one cargo pocket and one rear pocket in addition to the normal hand pockets. Be careful ordering Mountain Khakis online, their sizing seems off to me. I normally wear a 32" waist but couldn't even button their 32". I had to move up to a 35" so I had a little breathing room. I tried on two different styles of Mountain Khakis and needs a larger waist size than normal in both of them.

Adam

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

The cut doesn’t suit my build so I can’t wear them, but RailRiders X-Treme Adventure pants are the bomb in terms on construction and features IMO.

I’ve been wearing ExOfficio pants (Nomads initially, Nio Amphi style now) for over a dozen years now and have found nothing better at this point.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Prana zion stretch for me, they have little buttons to roll them into long shorts too.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I also love Prana, I have had a pair of their durable khakis for two years and they refuse to quit- all my other pants from two years ago are now shorts from torn knees.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I regularly wear long baselayer bottoms under shorts in camp and in the morning. I typically use this approach down to at least 30 degrees. Its not pretty but I see a lot of other backpackers doing the same. My legs stay warm while moving, so I typically wear the baselayer bottoms only in camp and sometimes in the morning. This set up works well for me in a broad range of temperatures, is pretty cheap, and is pretty light.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Steven

I'm at work right now, so I don't have them in front of me…but I know the zippers are covered by a flap on the inside off of the top zip. If I am remembering correctly, they split right at the top of my kneecap. I have never had any issues with the zippers rubbing, bothering or interfering with anything. As per Max's comment about them being baggier…I'd agree. They are baggier, but as a result have kept me cooler because of it. I don't like tighter restrictive pants. The less material in contact with my legs the better. I hike commando and these pants are an afterthought. I find it to be the closest I've come to feeling like I'm hiking without pants on. YAY FREEDOM! :O)

They've held up to a lot of granite, sandstone and bushwhacking without issue. Ultimately it's up to you and your preference, but if what I'm saying sounds like what you're looking for…I'm very certain you'll like them.

HTH

KJ

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I regularly wear long baselayer bottoms under shorts in camp and in the morning. I typically use this approach down to at least 30 degrees. Its not pretty… "

+ 1

But I look good in them :)

shorts and tights

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools