Topic

GRAND TETON’S/WIND RIVER RANGE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning GRAND TETON’S/WIND RIVER RANGE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rick taylor

@8877rt

Locale: Red River Gorge,KY

What is the best Grand Teton's 4 to 5 day backpack trip ? I will be flying into Jackson Hole early Sept 2013. After Teton's want to do a 5-6 day trek in the Wind River Range. what trailhead? What trails in the Winds? Experienced ultra lighter want trek's that average around 12-15 miles per day. Also how has the best maps? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

Rick,
    In the Tetons I like the loop entering at Granite Canyon and passing Marion Lake, Sunset Lake, Lake Solitude, out Paintbrush Canyon then an option for return to the car through front country stopping at Bradley Lake. The map I've used is the standard they sell at the park, Earthwalk Press I think. Trails are VERY clearly marked. You will need a detailed permit here. I've had unfailing luck with walk in permits by arriving an hour or more before they open at 8:00. In Sept it should by easy.

gtnp
    the Grand from camp at Sunset Lake

In the Winds I can recommend two introductory loops. 1; Big Sandy TH, Hailey Pass, Lizard Head Plateau, Cirque of the Towers, Big Sandy TH, with many possible side trips to say Baptiste Lake or Wind River Peak. 2; Elkhardt Park TH, past the Jean lakes to Peak Lake, Knapsack Col, Island Lake, with many possible side trips to say Stroud Peak, Fremont Peak, Wall Lake, Indian Pass. Knapsack Col is trailless and modestly rugged. The USGS 7.5 quads are the best for on the ground navigation. Of the two large scale options Earthwalk Press and Beartooth I strongly favor the former if not carrying the quads because they include more valuable info, ie; extent of vegetative cover (at least the way it was at the time of the USGS mapping) and the lake altitudes. The Beartooth maps have very nice topo shading and cover more area. IF you like off trail travel and can take care of yourself take a look at Nancy Palisters guidebook.

lizard head
    Lizard Head

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools