Topic

Combining two down bags for warmth

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Combining two down bags for warmth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I use two down bags quite a bit. Works fine for me, just mix and match according to the expected temperatures. I use Western Mountaineering's Sleeping Bag Comparison Chart to estimate how much down is needed. (and also just for window shopping)

Examining the chart infers that an estimate for the amount of down required at an expected temperature is given by: Ounces = (55-T)/2 where T is the expected temp in degrees Fahrenheit. That is, for 30f you would need (55-30)/2 = 12.5 oz down. For -40 f that would be:(55-(-40))/2 = 95/2 = 47.5 oz.

Basically, an ounce of down is worth 2 degrees Fahrenheit. So mixing a 40 f synthetic bag with a 12 oz down bag would give you 40-12(2)= 16 f.

Inherent in this estimate is the assumption that the down is working fairly efficiently and is not overly compressed or overly loose fitting.

Like others have suggested, I do a lot of backyard testing when a cold spell comes to town. Try it, the neighbors probably suspect you're a nut anyway.

edited because I am eventually gonna learn to make a link.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools