Topic

Quilt Q

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt Q

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Hello,
    I've just dyed my half oz a yd silk black for my nunuk like synthetic quilt. I 'm going to use momentum for the shell and
    the quilt will have three layers of Climashield (I know this is alot but I sleep cold). My question is do I need to jardine style quilting loops or not. If I could get away with it I would prefer not not do any quilting but I'm wondering that is smart. Has anyone tried this? If so how did it work?

PS Bill F, the RITE dye worked great, thanks for the tip!

Royal Magnell

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Blue Man,
    I just talked to Ayce on the phone today.
    Fresh off the oven, (I have 5 yards of it), is a better quality Climashield.
    The scoop is the Clo should be right at 2.0 and the material will not clomp in spots when unrolled. He is also looking at getting some specially made 5 ounce Climashield.

Ayce says that the material is spun a little different which gives a better lay and higher Clo.

I'm sure there's a lot more technical jargon to it than that but as long as the out come is good, the rest is just something Richard N. will have to update us on.

Any way, I wouldn't worry about the 3 layers being too much at all.
    I would use about a 3-4" strip of Momentum to sew the edge of the entire circumference of the Climashield layers together with the thread going through both the top and bottom of the strip, (clamping it).

This will give you a lot more support and it will be much easier to attach it to the Momentum shell.

You are going to have one warm quilt. What temperature do you expect it to get you down to?
    The 3 layers may be a little over-kill.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Thanks for the info! I didn't know AYCE was selling new Climashield…is it XP, HL or Combat?

What I really want to know is..DO I need to use quilting loops
    on my quilt? I know that some people don't use loops (I think)
    like Bill F. but because I'll be using three layers of Climashield I'm thinking that they really need to be stabilized…What do ya'll think? Yes..no?

Royal Magnell

Royal Magnell

@blueman

The strip/clamping idea sounds good I might try that. I'm hoping It'll get me down to 20*.

Royal

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Royal,

You can also only quilt loop the insulation to the bottom liner fabric of your quilt and leave the top fabric unquilted, that way you won't see the loops from the outside and will maintain a touch more loft.

Search these forums for "summer quilt" and see how the person there did it.

I would quilt because if you ever plan on washing it and do a lot of stuffing/unstuffing in your pack then the insulation will probably get shifted.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Jharaa- thanks for the advise. It would be safer to use loops (I think) but I really don't want to. I believe Bill Fornshell
    gets away with out useing loops..I would be very intersted in hearing about his and any others experences with the no loop method. Has anyone tried this?

ROyal

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Royal,

My comments are how I use Climashield Combat, XP, Polarguard Delta or Primaloft One Pre-Quilted insulation.

What is the overall size of your quilt? My quilts / sleeping bags are not very wide and I have had no problems just sewing the insulation to the edge of my material.

If you are going to stack several layers of insulation you might want to stabilize your insulation in a few places (quilt knots) to keep it from moving around when it is rolled or stuffed to pack.

If you see sewn lines in the body of an item I made it is where I was using small pieces of insulation or outer material to use it up.

When I pack one of my quilts or sleeping bags I fold them and then roll them up. I am careful but don't really fuss with them much. For me a neat roll packs better than just stuffing.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Bill, Right now I'm thinking my quilt will be 72 inchs long with a reglar foot box (like on a sleeping bag or a nunuak quilt). It will be 50 inchs wide at the top and taper down to 36 inchs at the foot.

What kind of stich do you use when sewing the perameter of at quilt? I know some people turn there quilts inside out or somthing so the seams are hidden…do you do this and if you do how is that done?

Thank you so much!

ROyal

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Quilting is time consuming, but not that difficult. Without the ties, I suspect the lining might tend to bunch up or become more lumpy even though it is stitched in along the edges. When quilting with yarn and a needle, do not cut the yarn to size first. If you do you will have to be threading the needle each time you add a hole. Leave a very long strand of yarn in your needle, pull it through and cut to size when ready. Then move on to the next hole with the strand a bit shorter, but still threaded through the needle. This should save some time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools