Topic

Puffys for Puppies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Puffys for Puppies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey everyone! It's been some time since I've posted, but I figured this would be of interest to those of us that own winter-unworthy canines. It's starting to dip below freezing in parts of the northeast, and our newly adopted chihuahua mix could use another layer on her morning walks and weekend hikes. Instead of spending money on a sub-par jacket via petco, I decided to stitch some new threads for her. Snug as a bug given the custom fit.

Materials:
    Exterior: 210D nylon (coated)
    Lining:1.1oz ripstop nylon (coated)
    Insulation: 1 ounce of 850+ FP down
    Total weight: 2.5 ounces
    Details: step-in harness style coat, velcro closure along back with draft tube. Interestingly, before I did the sewn-through baffles, the jacket was massively puffy…even with only 1 oz of down. Baffling it cut down the loft by at least 70%

Because of the seams and the stitched through construction, it's not waterproof. It is extremely water resistant however. I figured that since dog's don't sweat in the traditional sense, the vapor barrier effect won't matter. The use of non-breathable fabrics also prevents any stink/funk penetrating the down insulation. I chose the heavier exterior fabric because she's always brushing up against branches, concrete, rock etc. After a couple of minutes of walking/sprinting in this thing, she generates enough heat to keep her perfectly happy and shake-free for the rest of the walk/hike.

Models Specs:
    Name: Pepper aka Pepperoni or Pepperino
    Weight: 9.8 lbs of hiking fury

p1
    p2
    p3

Interior Shot:
    p4

Hope you guys like it! If I have some time, and if there's any interest, I may start selling a much more basic version of the coat.

Best,
    Konrad

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What a face! She's a doll, and good on you for adopting!

Oh yeah, love the coat too. I'll buy one if you can get it to me before Christmas!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

So that's what you've been doing! I had no idea you were a sew-guy. Great work, K-man.

By the way, you've been missed around here.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

a little dog, a little duck.

awesome.

Ryan Gabriel

@rgabriel

Locale: Bay Area

NM – saw your specs above. Nice job!

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

"9.8 lbs of hiking fury" lol, she is too cute. Awesome job Konrad, both for the jacket and for giving her what is undoubtedly a wonderful life, not to mention a very chic winter look :-)

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Envious is an understatement! Nice work.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Nice job Konrad, I've been wanting to do something like this for my dog so she can stay warm at night after the hike, during the hike shes stays pretty warm.

Jack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools