Topic

Tarp and Sky Island Outfitter Can Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp and Sky Island Outfitter Can Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Has anyone heard anything about GoLite dicking over Ray Jardine?

http://www.rayjardine.com/essays/golitesucks.shtml

This may be old news but that and the price, and the fact that I couldn’t find any review on the GoLite ultralite tarp made me go with the Equinox ultralite tarp which is reviewed here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00166.html

Has anyone used it?

Also, I just decided to check out an Alcohol stove so I ordered a coke can stove from Sky Island outfitters because it only cost $8 with free shipping. Has anyone ever heard about these guys and whether or not they are any good? I am a little worried because he claimed that the shipping was free but I got a note in my mail box that said there wasn’t enough postage on the parcel to cover the shipping and I would have to come down to the post office and pay if I want the package. It’s only a $1.42 but it is inconvenient. I plan on dropping them an email soon.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

ummm who cares if Go Lite “dicks” Ray. As for not getting the correct postage… that is not right. They’re not advertising what they promise. Send in that email. Not cool by them!

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Post Deleted by author.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I too looked at the Equinox tarp and finally decided on the Oware flat tarp. I decided the Oware 9×9 flat because it offered 20 guy points for more flexibility in setups. You can also custom order to have an additional guy point added to the center of the tarp along the ridgeline.
    Also, buying from Oware supports a small home business that has excelled in customer service with each of my purchases (all 4 of them).

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hi Folks,

Please be cautious about posting third party comments about this situation. These kinds of things can get inflamed and unnecessarily out of control very quickly and damage reputations improperly because the gossip (whether truth or fiction) become some sense of reality in peoples’ minds.

Rather than posting information on Internet forums, I suggest that if this really is a concern to you, then contact GoLite directly about it and see what they have to say. They deserve that, whether Ray’s comments are truth or fiction.

In spite of “rules” or lack thereof elsewhere on the Internet, slanderous gossip will not be tolerated here.

When Ray posted his comments, I investigated the story, interviewed GoLite and others, and decided against publishing any commentary about it. It simply wasn’t worth it and the “story” really turned out to be a non-story.

We owe a lot to Ray, Coup, and GoLite, for publicizing the ultralight movement in a way that has been positive for all of us. I wish them all the best of luck in the future, and expect that they will contribute in a positive manner to helping people lighten their packs.

Jacob and others: In the interest of being fair to all parties involved rather than making judgments based on a single post by Ray Jardine, or even gossip that might appear in other Internet forums (or our own, for that matter), I would encourage you to contact GoLite directly so you can get their side of the story before making further judgments.

My recommendation is that you give GoLite’s CEO, Kim, a phone call to discuss the situation, or drop her an email via the GoLite website.

If you find in your further research on the topic that you’d like to add additional comments to the forum, please feel free to do so.

Ryan

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Just a follow up post on my deleted post above. I have since contacted GoLite even before the suggestion by Ryan. I will not go into detail but there but my thoughts on the issue are as such.

I believe the entire issue is one that is more personal than anything. Both sides have their story. I won’t pass judgement because its neither my place nor is it a real issue to the customer.

Both companies are legitimately in the business to help people lighten their loads and not soley for income. They both have top quality gear and at very reasonable prices. I have no doubt that they are both good and honest companies and I think that they all stand behind the products they sell. Both operations are small businesses targeted at customer satisfaction with the most appropriate gear.

The whole story is a sad chapter in both of the companies histories. Its a real shame that the issue reached public ear and it caused both campanies damage I’m sure.

My decision is that I will keep buying from both companies in full knowledge that I am purchasing quality products from companies that have integrity and strive for customer satisfaction.

Kim Coupounas
    BPL Member

@golite

When we first read Ray Jardine’s malicious and false web posting in May, we decided not to lend it any credence through a public response. We responded to individuals who called or wrote to us about it and laid out the truth of what happened and our experience of Mr. Jardine. We have now heard from enough customers expressing concern that we have now posted a public reply. Mr. Jardine has viciously maligned a group of people (ourselves and our small team at GoLite) who share his philosophies and who have treated him with the utmost respect and kindness, and honestly it breaks our hearts. We have worked so hard to spread the word since 1998…. but our greatest sadness is the damage that Mr. Jardine’s posting is doing to the lightweight movement in general. If you care to, we invite you to see what really happened in 2004 when Mr. Jardine forced us to end our business relationship with him.

http://www.golite.com/about/golite_and_ray_jardine.asp

Kim and Coup
    GoLite

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

For something that started as a thread on a Tarp and Can Stove, it has gone way off track.

I have to commend both Ray Jardine and GoLite for what they have done to inspire many in the quest for lightening our loads, but it saddens me to see such postings about the breach of contract subject on this site.

Being a customer of Ray Jardine (books only, as I can’t sew) and of GoLite (again because I can’t sew), I have to believe this type of information needs to stay within the circles of the involved individuals. Contracts have not been made available for viewing, nor should they be in this arena. There is a place for that in our judicial system.

I will continue to use GoLite equipment, because I can’t sew, and I have had excellent experiences from their products and service. I will also continue to use some of Ray Jardine’s ideas, even as far fetched as some may appear. As time progresses and I become more capable, I will likely purchase one or more of his kits.

I find Ray Jardine’s claim to have invented his “Butterfly Clove Hitch” (http://www.ray-way.com/tarp-nettent/butterfly/index.shtml) somewhat narcissistic and makes me wary of any of his claims. Having read, and re-read Beyond Backpacking numerous times, there are many great ideas I use each and every trip, there are also many ideas I thought completely ridiculous and would never consider using.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools