Topic

Where do I find center release buckles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Where do I find center release buckles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I've never made anything myself (since maybe 4th grade…) and I'm going to try to tackle a quilt-to-pad attachment system as my first project. I've found grosgrain ribbon, but now I'm looking for center release buckles (or another kind that lay really, really flat…). Any ideas of a source?? I don't know enough of the suppliers to find any…..

Thanks in advance!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Thanks Ken!! That's perfect. There's enough stuff here that it might even change my idea a bit.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Their customer service is top notch as well. They will also adjust your postage rate. So don't expect to pay as much for shipping a few light items.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Try The Rain Shed, at http://www.therainshed.com/Hardware.htm
    They have the heavier type. Would not recommend the watch band type for any BP use I can think of – too fragile.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

The light watch band buckles work just fine for quilt to pad connections. Most quilt manufacturers use them in their pad attachment system.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I got my center release buckles http://www.owfinc.com/hardware.html — part GCR3/4. The ones from Quest look identical. They work just fine.

I also got my gros-grain from OWF. Be careful about using gros-grain from your local fabric store, since gros-grain refers to the weave and not the material. If you buy from one of the outdoor suppliers like Quest or OWF you'll be fine. Even with the gros-grain from OWF, it is thin enough that it crinkles under the center release buckle; it works just fine, but you have to be a little deliberate when you slide the buckle along the ribbon to not let the ribbon scrunch up.

I posted photos of my quilt-to-pad system, here's the link in case you missed it.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=69689

In that post I focused on a double quilt, but should have said that the system would be great for a single as well. I've got a Nunatak single quilt, and it uses the same materials (gros-grain and center-release-buckles) to pull the quilt together underneath you — but IMO it's better to attach it to the pad instead so it doesn't migrate when you roll.

Amy

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Your post was my inspiration. It looked easy enough to do, but seemed the best way to snug the quilt wherever I wanted and still be able to get out.

I should have the stuff by the weekend and will give it a try. Thanks again for the pictures…made it easy to try to figure out.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jennifer,
    I updated my original thread with this info, but thought I should share it here in case it's useful to you.
    Quest Outfitters sells gros grain ribbon in FIRM or SOFT. When I tried the SOFT variety, the buckle causes the ribbon to wrinkle and frumple. I've now built with FIRM gros grain and it is significantly better.
    Amy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools