Topic

Thermotic underwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Thermotic underwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alpo Kuusisto
    BPL Member

@akuusist

Has anyone heard about Thermotic float-underwear with supposedly new technology for clothing?
    http://www.thermotic.se/
    It's in Swedish but translation to English should be pretty straightforward.

Any guesses what their breathable floating patented technology might be? Silica aerogel granules?
    Dry weights are really low so could be potential for packrafting, but there's no mention about wet weights (= drying times). They do show it's easy to swim with one which hints there's not much water absorbed.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Nice link. Looks like they provide a fair bit of flotation too.

Alpo Kuusisto
    BPL Member

@akuusist

Well, bought a pair of these pants.
    To me it looks like a 2mm thick standard closed cell foam cut criss-cross like some self-inflatable mattress foams and quilted between two layers no-see-um mesh. Construction has slight stretch, is very light indeed and is not going to take lots of rough use. There's enough cuts to let air circulate a bit more than inside a windshirt. Absorbs 200gms of water after being fully submerged (roughly similar to same weight of fleece) but dries very quickly.

Field tests:
    Used about dozen times for running and cross country skiing between -10F and 30F.
    Always without any long underwear. Remarkably wide temperature range. As you start overheating, the sweat instantly evaporates from your skin. Like it should. Feels a little chilly but not really that cold. As you stop the activity they are pretty soon bone dry. There's a dramatic difference in drying speed to Powerstretch – windbreaker combination that is not bad either.

Conclusions this far:
    – pretty stiff price for this simple construction with probably bad durability
    – works great for cold or cool weather outings where you are going to get wet

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ok, I have nothing constructive to add to this, but I just wanted to say that as I was quickly scrolling down the "recent threads" page, I saw this thread title and my brain read "Thermonuclear underwear."

Carry on.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Heh, I saw "thermoerotic".

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools