Topic

“likely, the best backpacking sleeping bag in the world.”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “likely, the best backpacking sleeping bag in the world.”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

didnt realize the phrasing would be so contentious. The reason I posted it is because its a glowing review of a product from a US cottage startup, well loved in these parts. Thought it could provide some validation for those who made the investment, and some user insight from thoughtful, experienced outdoorsfolk for those who come here looking for that sort of thing. Speaking for myself, I've never visited this forum because I enjoy parsing meanings about outdoor gear reviews or arguing for or against personal consumer philosophies. I come here to get my kit dialed in for certain types of adventures, and to help others to do the same.

samuel smillie

@sam_smillie

Locale: central canada

I enjoyed the outdoor gear lab review. It was really nice to see that they included some cottage manufactures as these guys and girls are often omitted from these reviews and deserve to have their hard work recognized.

Personally I really enjoy the attention to detail that outdoor gear lab provides on many of their reviews because it gives a nice perspective on features that might be overlooked or are surprising weak on an otherwise solid product. That being said I take the actual scoring systems they use with a giant grain of salt because in trying to cover such large topics they usually end up comparing apples to oranges (or whatever kiwi thing you guys said above ;). Take a look at the down jacket review for example. All different levels of warmth and weights with a solid representation of poor quality north face jackets that most people here would never find optimal for backcountry use.

Gotta admit, pretty cool to see them take quilts so seriously in this article though. Yay Quilts!!!

As for all you WM fans out there. Don't worry, I don't see the throne being taken any time soon

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Serge,

I agree with you….BPL is a great resource to help you dial in your backpacking gear and to share wisdom that would be useful on the trail.

However, I have found that people here also have strong and passionate opinions that they are happy to share, which can be a great thing.

I took your posting exactly as you expect….confirmation of a good product that is from a respected UL manufacture.

Always great to see when the "little guys" get good press.

If it really is a big deal for people about the rating system, I am sure someone could take the time to email the author or the website that made the review to clarify their warmth rating system.

Regarding the debate between sleeping bag or quilt….Hike your own hike. (HYOH).

Always good to get people's opinions and experiences before buying….lord knows, I ask questions from people here about how they liked their quilt before I bought mine JRB.

-Tony

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

From an email with them: "We are using Resist-Down from Allied Feather. Made in the U.S. and third party approved to be safe for the environment and human health."

Same as Zpacks use.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"the "best" gear is what allows you to do the most … that could be a 20$ wallymart bag or a 1000$ fancy uber mutant goose one"

Dang it Eric. Now I have to find the Über Mutant Goose Down quilt. Link? ;-)

Pretty nice article for Katabatic, kudos.

As much as I love quilts I would never say one could be "The warmest 30-degree sleeping bag I've ever tested". Maybe warmest by weight, but I doubt that too. (I have never used a Katabatic quilt.) The very design of a mummy bag makes it warmer than any quilt in my experience and opinion. I don't use quilts because they are the warmest option, but because they offer the best balance of warmth-to-weight, pack-ability, and comfort.

I like that quilts are getting more publicity.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

"Personally I think the WM Megalite is the best backpacking sleeping bag. If there is a Feathered Friends equavalent size and temp rating it would qualify as well."

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the Megalite over the Summerlite. Grrrr…

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

This "test" from Outdoorgearlab is not professional in my opinion.

Gotta take the original post with a grain of salt.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I'll just chime in and say that I love my Katabatic Gear Palisade. It keeps me warm to below 30 degrees. And I do hate being cold!

I sometimes think of switvhing to a synthetic quilt instead of down due to the whole wetness issue, but that would be the only reason for me to give up my Palisade.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools