Topic

Pedomoter – Use one? Like it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pedomoter – Use one? Like it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I've thought of buying one but never followed through. Any of you use one? And if so do you like it? I'd use it to count steps and calc miles. Anything else worth having in a pedomoter? I see some that are $100 but that seems over kill.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

They may work on a flat trail if you are walking at constant pace but any variation in pace or gradient will throw the pace count.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

I was wondering about that.

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

Wife and I got these last spring to motivate ourselves a bit more during the week for logging steps. Seems fairly accurate during hiking as well, but probably not as good as GPS-based mileage tracking. Counts "flights of stairs" also using some sort of altimeter which is interesting. YMMV but we like them.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

one that was $100 I mentioned above. I think REI has one that is around $59 and one that is around $99. What ever I get, if I get one, must be able to work on trails. So thanks for the user experience.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I too use the FitBit. I use the Zip, but after using the Zip for a few months I almost wish I'd waited for the One. The Zip has been great, with a stat-tracking website that can tell you your activity levels through the day and as a good indicator of about how "tough" a trip has been. I find its mileage estimate is fairly accurate on most varied terrain when you can keep a fairly even stride but on one very difficult mountain summit its estimate was wildly off, although the number of steps seemed spot on.

That said, the One would be even better just because it has the altitude sensor.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I use one of these as well. I like it as an exercise motivator, but I find the distance calculator over-generous compared to the map.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I used one on several days to see how many steps I take at work in the construction industry. I think the recomended steps for an adult is 7000 a day and I was averaging 10000 just at work.

They are good for the amount of steps you are taking but unless each step is the same as the callibrated step length you have entered then the distance will be out.

Aaron Lehoux

@aaronjayl

Locale: Southern Maine

My wife and I both have the Fitbit Ultras. They are a fun little item for getting a general idea of activities, calories burned, etc. so you can stay motivated. Distance is pretty accurate for an average walking pace. However, taking mine on runs I have found it to be quite significantly off on distance. I've had 6 mile runs register just over 4 miles on the Fitbit. Regular hikes though have been pretty accurate. We've had quite a few friends and family members interested in them. We tell everyone they are great motivational tools for normal activities, but definitely not a replacement for a GPS and/or heart rate monitor for those that want to seriously track their health.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

So a guy at work asks to see the apps that i have on my cell phone. He shouts at me "You're a child molester!"
    What are you talking about, i said.
    "You have a pedometer app on your phone!", he shouted.
    Don't be stupid, i said, that isn't the same thing as pedophilia.
    "So what does a pedometer app do then?", he asked.
    It tells you how many paces to the nearest nursery school, said i.

I'll get my coat.

steven franchuk

@surf

I don't have a pedometer but my sister does have a Ipod nano which does have a built in Pedometer. So if you want to hike with a pedometer and music player on a hike The Ipod Nano will do both.

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

hahahahahaha thank you mike for that!

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

tried the Striiv?

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

yuk yuk yuk!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools