Topic

New line for bear bagging

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New line for bear bagging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I need to replace my old bear bagging line spectra.)With use,it's become
    frayed. I see lots of options,too many in fact. There's dynaglide, fling it,zing it,slick line,and target line? Any of these better than others?

Thanks for your input :-)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Leigh, I've been using Lawson's Ironwire for 2 years now, and it works great. 1000# strength, lightweight, and the urethane coating allows it to slide over things easily.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Ironwire is quite nice for bear bagging, but be careful when you use it. I once got some tangled up high, and the spectra core made it impossible to cut down. The line does tangle somewhat easily.

I still use, but it is worth your time to be careful with it.

Don Abernathey

@oldguysrule

Locale: PNW

YouTube video

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

+1 for IronWire. Highly visible, holds knots well, etc. You can get it for 20% off right now with free shipping also.

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Dyneema-IronWire-p514.html

Ryan

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Is this the product you are talking about?

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Arborist_Samson_Zing_It_2_2mm_180ft_Throwing_Line_p/arborist%20samson%20zing-it%202.2mm.htm

Seems like a good price for a life-time supply of line. I'm getting into tarps right now- will this line work well for tarp pitching?

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive been pretty satisfied with both the one Lawson sells, and the one MLD sells.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Lawson's iron wire that everyone is mentioning is a nice line. I have some that I use on tents, packs and other things, but admittedly have not used it as bear line, but think that it would do fine.

I had been using the 1.4 mm slick ZLine from ZPacks for a while and it did great. However, due to it's tiny size you have to be very careful when raising or lowering the bag…if it gets away from you, it will wreak havoc on your hand/fingers, of course, any line will do that, but this line is tiny and can be hard to hold. I always just wrapped it around my hand a few times and then simply walked away from the tree to hoist the bag up, or towards the tree to let it down. Also, this tiny line can cut into tree branches if raised or lowered much, so I wouldn't recommend using a line this small for multi day hangs in the same place.

Recently I have been using the HLine that is available from Lite Trail and I have been pretty happy with it. It is a bit thicker so a little easier to deal with than the slick ZLine, however, it also weighs a little over twice as much too…

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I emailed WesSpur and they suggested 2.2mm zing it would be best for the intended purpose. They only sell it in 180' lengths, and I'd almost given up finding it is a reasonable length, but found Lite Trails and bought their HiLine; I needed a couple ti stakes and the shipping was 1.95 :-) Well see how I like it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools