Topic

Double Rainbow vs. Lunar Duo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double Rainbow vs. Lunar Duo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 126 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

I had this same debate last year when I was looking for my first lightweight tent for the wife and I. I ended up going with the 2010 DR after much debate. Ultimately, I chose the DR for better wind stability, ability to pitch without trekking poles, the rain porches and the ability to pitch the "fly" almost to the ground. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I had unbelievably great weather this year in the Colorado Rockies. I only had 1 crazy thunderstorm and very little wind in the 20 or so days in the backcountry.

I LOVE the rain porches. I almost always set them up now for ease of entry/exit and views. I've found that I really don't like zipping/unzipping a fly. I've never used a tarp but it's what I imagine sleeping under a tarp would be like. Seam sealing was easy with the 2010 version and getting the CF cross strut in and out is easy as well. I think Henry nailed this redesign based on all the gripes I've read about with the old version.

I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'6" and we both fit fine. Not a lot of extra room but plenty for us. I use a large Neoair and my wife uses a regular. You could get 2 larges in there but it would be mattress from bathtub wall to bathtub wall. There's decent room to store stuff at both the head and foot.

Happy debating!

Chris

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I noticed on the Tarptent website that the Double Rainbows are "in production". When will they be available again?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The DR will arrive at TT end of next week.
    At the moment ,after back orders are filled , there is some spare stock.
    Franco

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Bump!

tee hee hee

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Stratosire 2, being a true double wall tent has the OPTION of a ripstop inner tent.

The SS2's specs (wt. & sq. ft.) with a double wall are extremely close to the DR's.

Yes, the DR has an optional liner (for more weight).

Aerodynamically the DR may be better with both vestibules staked out and closed.

I'd say the SS2 has more useable space.

Tanner M

@tan68

Mean, mean, mean.

Made me look, though.

Viewing 6 posts - 126 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools