Topic

New Dual-Stay Winter Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New Dual-Stay Winter Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I finished this one up the other day. I had sketched the idea a while back, and finally got around to making it. I wanted a larger volume pack that I could use this winter. I put a beaver tail on it to allow for expansion. I will be able to use it as a pocket almost, but I think it will add a bit more versatility. I went with dual stays inside. I decide to contour the bottom to tighten the load carrying a bit. I chose to eliminate the typical front-side panel seams to take away more opportunities for water to enter.

The lid is removable. I set it up so that I could have the top dry bag style, connected down to the sides (like an HMG pack), or with a lid. I like having the versatility to change the pack as I need.

The pack is made 210 denier laminated ripstop. The beavertail is Dyneema Grid from Dan Mchale. The bottom is DX-40.

Front

Side

Here it is with the a fishing net in the beavertail

Beavertail

Profile view:Profile view

Additional Photos:

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

looks great.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Great looking pack Michael! You have a lot of really nice features on this pack, as well as a great color combo, I like it. That hip belt is no joke either, it looks like 100% comfy padded hip hugging goodness!

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Looks like a great design. What does it weigh?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thanks everyone.

I figured that if I am going to put a hipbelt for load transfer, I might as well make it substantial. My other pack is so small and hipbeltless, so I wanted something a bit different. Hipbelt is 5 inches tall. I'm excited to see how the 210d works out. It is pretty cool stuff. It has a polyurethane laminate (not coating), which I thought was pretty interesting. I'm hoping that it strikes a good balance between the weight of VX21 and Dyneema grid coating issues.

The pack weighs 28.6 ounces fully loaded on my scale. That includes lid, two stays, and a foam back panel. With everything removed (minus the foam. I didn't want to remove it then put it back in) 19.7 ounces.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks good Mike.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you David. Im excited to test it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools