Topic

Sheldon Wildlife Refuge NW Nevada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Sheldon Wildlife Refuge NW Nevada

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Anyone ever backpack in Sheldon Wildlife Refuge in NW Nevada?

I think I might get away from the rains in Western Oregon.

I talked to someone on phone and probably have enough info, but maybe someone else has something to add.

I think I'm going to start at Virgin Valley.

Maybe camp out at East Rock Spring a few nights – hike around to Big Mountain, Rock Spring Table, maybe South or West.

I wonder if East Rock Spring has any water?

Anything else in that area good to see?

Someone else I read about went from Catnip Reservoir, Little Catnip Spring, Catnip Mountain.

Hmmm… I wonder why they call it Catnip? Maybe Cougars?

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I backpacked through on my Desert Trail Hike. I thought it was really cool.

I followed the official route (Mexico to Canada) using a map I got from the Desert Trail Association.

The route runs from Cottonwood Spring to Bateman Spring over Wild Horse Pasture past East Rock Spring then follows the old road to Virgin Valley Campground. I found (and left after moving it off the jeep track) a spearhead on that road!

Pretty country. Hot springs showers at Virgin Valley Campground. Water and a good camp spot at East Rock Spring. Saw lots of antelope and wild horses. I think it was on Rock Springs Table that I saw the remains of an ancient Indian ambush site, where they'd built stone blinds to hide in while others chased game through a narrow gap in the rimrock. I saw the remains of a cougar kill, but you'd have to be lucky to see one. The Sheldon is a magical place for people who like the high desert. It's off the beaten path, for sure. A good place to wander and see what you see.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Thanks Buck – I think maybe I'll do that

A couple years ago I did a trip to Hart Mountain which was similar, but higher elevation so more snow

Is the hot spring at Virgin Valley just an undeveloped pool? or do you have to pay a concessioneer?

There was a hot spring at Hart Mountain that a number of people used – sort of "hippy" like

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

The hot springs has a developed pool and a stone hot shower building, as well as picnic tables and camping. All free.

http://www.fws.gov/sheldonhartmtn/Sheldon/recreation.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools