Topic

Steripen Adventurer or Sawyer Squeeze

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Adventurer or Sawyer Squeeze

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Corey Farrell

@bambam

In the market for a new water filter. I was originally going to get the Steripen Adventurer, but after hearing so many problems people have with them, it has me thinking. I really like the simplicity of the Sawyer Squeeze filter, and I really like how it has an adapter available to make in an inline filter. What are the thoughts on this? Thanks

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

When I hike by myself or only one other, I use a Steripen. No failures or problems. But for more than two people, I use a hanging setup with a Sawyer filter and a Platypus bag and tubes, just for the fact that it will work without my immediate attention.

Which means that on the vast majority of my hikes, I use the Steripen.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've used (and still own both). I really like the simplicity and comparative reliability of the Sawyer Squeeze; for me that's hard to argue with. I also like being able to use it as a gravity filter in camp or in a group setting. Super easy and no fuss.

The Steripen is a neat piece of technology and is nice and small, but I can't help but worry that it's going to fail me at some crucial moment. It also doesn't seem practical if I want to filter more than a liter at a time.

I still take the Steripen on some trips (mainly solo trips with abundant, regular water sources) but more often than not I find myself reaching for the Sawyer Squeeze.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Where do you hike and what is the water like? If the water where you hike is fresh and clear, then the steripen should work well. If the water is murky and dirty, then you are going to want a filter.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Steripen opti all the way. We do have plentiful good water sources here. I like that I can blast the water and drink. Quick. I am not worried about a failure because i carry aquamira tabs as a backup. Worst case I could always boil water.

Only way I will replace the steripen is if they make one smaller, lighter, and more efficient (regarding battery time, although I have had no problems with battery time)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've used both

Steripen – died after a few pints on new batteries – different sets of batteries and different brands. But I also used it successfully for a number of trips. If it worked it would be nice. In cold weather it's hard to press the button and get it to work. Don't get the old Freedom with electrical water sensor – another source of unreliability.

Squeeze – there's the problem of bags breaking, but I've used Sawyer bags successfully on a number of trips – just be careful. Or get Evernew bags. You can't let it freeze so you have to put it in your sleeping bag or something in cold weather.

Yang Lu

@yanglu

I returned my Steripen. I feel Sawyer is much better and eaiser to use.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

In the ADK's, mostly I use AM drops.
    The next most often used is the Steripen.
    Rarely any type of filter, including the Sawyer.

They are different animals with different purposes.
    The steripen tends to higher weights, even if it is only for the extra batteries. Basically, I reserve it for short trips (up to about 5 nights.) It is basically neary instant water. I dip a .5L bottle in a cool stream, spend about 45sec's zapping it and drink. While I am drinking one down, I zap the second, if needed. Then I refill the first bottle and zap that one. In the back pack everything goes and I continue on.

The Sawyer squeeze is about the same time. Fill the dirty bladder, add the filter, drink and/or fill your bottles.

AM takes several hours to work. It's only real advantage to UL packers is size and weight. Both are critical items to going light.

When temps dip, AM drops require more time. I keep them in my pocket, anyway, so freezing isn't important. You should NEVER let the Sawyer freeze. The UV is good but batteries need to be kept in your pocket, too.

So, for cold weather, I do not bring a Sawyer. I don't head out except on day hikes in the winter, anyway. So, I don't bring AM drops, either. The Steripen is much easier to use.

In low water, a lot of the springs silt up and/or get fairly dirty. Especially in summers, lately. The Sawyer can start running poorly, even with backflushing. Using a prefilter for the Steripen sometimes doesn't work very well. The silt can be very fine and actually washes through. AM drops work better because the slight sediment is still treated. Be aware that AM drops can react with organics in mud and silt. High levels of tannins can diminish effectiveness, too. UV can fail in silty or organic particulate laden water, too.

There is no real basis to say one is better than the other. It is based more on where and when you do the most hiking. From an UL standpoint, AM drops are best. From a warm weather stand point, I think the Sawyer is the best. From a cold wether stand point, the UV is the best. From a silty water stand point . . . each has strengths and weaknesses. I *usually* use AM drops, but I don't let that blind me to using the Sawyer or Steripen as needed.

You really need both, with some AM drops picked up as needed. You should carry a backup…sheist happens. Example: I usually put a couple small bottles of AM (about 1oz) in my pocket, even if I plan on using the Steripen for drinking water.

Maintenence with the Sawyer or Steripen are about even, in my book. A split bladder can render the system nearly inoperable. If the dirty water runs down the tube to the clean….not good at all. If the light burns out on the steripen, it is inoperable. Both can ruin a trip, or, cause you to bail early.

Corey Farrell

@bambam

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I've made up my mind. I'll be doing the PCT and want something thats simple and reliable. I'm going to carry the Steripen Adventurer Opti, and I'll be carrying Aquamira drops as backup. I'm sure I'll be good to go incase something goes wrong.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I used my Opti on my A.T thru last year and loved it. Bought the batteries BULK on Amazon under the StreamLight brand (they make flashlights). WAY cheaper than buying 2 for $15 at REI (you can buy around 6-8 for $20 on amazon.com).

Corey Farrell

@bambam

Thanks for the heads up Seth.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Late in the game here, but I like the Sawyer for ease, particularly if you're filtering more than a liter. Have both and just don't like the Steripen as much.

Corey Farrell

@bambam

yea, I figured I would carry the Steripen from the start. If I'm not into it, I can switch it out pretty easily.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools