Topic

Winter stove MkII

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Winter stove MkII

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

This year, I have upgraded my winter stove setup (the old one can be found here)

The goal is to build a system powerful enough for melting snow, includes a base so that it can be used on snow and is easy to set up and operate. This setup can be made lighter by replacing the pot and windscreen with titanium ones, but I do not use it often enough to invest into it more.

The stove base is made of thin, quality plywood laminated with aluminium foil. When folded, it fits insides the pot:
    stove01

Folding wings increase the surface area and support the windscreen:
    stove02

The stove used is the Primus Spider Express. The legs of the stove fit onto pins on the base and the spring visible on the previous photos clamps it securely:
    stove03

I wanted to switch the stove on and off easily and without removing the windscreen, so I added a piezo ignition to the stove. The igniter is made from a piezo lighter, teflon-insulated wire along the fuel tube conducts the spark to the burner:
    stove04

A teflon insulator connects the wire to the rod extending close to the burner:
    stove05

The windscreen is folding so that it fits inside the pot, loosely rolled inside along the wall. High temperature kapton tape serves as the hinge:
    stove06

Tape hinge and snaps connecting the ends:
    stove07

Unfolded windscreen:
    stove08

Assembled stove and the windscreen:
    stove09

Everything was made to fit MSR Alpinist pot:
    stove10

The setup in use:
    stove11

Windscreen is stored inside the pot:
    stove12

The base fits in too:
    stove13

Everything is stored in the pot and ready to be packed:
    stove14

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Very nice Jan,

You could have a nice sideline selling these for different stoves.

What kind of weight is the board and wind shield?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

The tape hing is working very nicely. When it's opened there is an oposite curl to one piece and yet it looks so nice and even in a full diameter around the stove….coool! How many flexes do you think it will withstand?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Hope you have better luck with your spider than others and I did.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30789

Had to go with the Windpro. (and LOVE it)

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I have fixed the stove to prevent the problem mentioned here as I described here.

Darrin Boring

@tupelo

That is a Great job!!

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

nice idea!!
    how about drew some holes on the plate to reduce bit of weight?

Going to make one for my Epresslander too

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Whilst I love the look of the Kapton tape hinge, I'd be concerned about its longevity.

An alternative way of making a two-part windscreen is to use my flissure joint. Again, whilst the poppers are beautiful, I suspect they're a little vulnerable, and a simple slot-and tab joint might be easier and more robust.

Both features can be found in my windscreen template that Zen is now hosting:

http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-WindscreenStands.htm#Captain_Paranoias_Windscreen_PotStand_Tool

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I know the tape is a weak point, but I wanted to try it. I like that it makes the wind screen one piece and that it is quick and convenient to use. If it fails, I'll look for some other solution. I have used it on two trips so far an it it still looks like new.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools