Topic

Reducing the Fiddle Factor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reducing the Fiddle Factor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Sometimes I wake up and my ground sheet, foam pad and air mat have all shifted. It looks like train wreck sometimes so I decided to fix it. I got some elastic cord, glove hooks and plastic grommets from Quest Outfitters reinforced the corners of my ground sheet and used the cord and glove hooks to secure the sheet to my shelter corners. No more fiddling there.

Next I put hook velcro on my foam pad and loop velcro on my air mat. Now everything stays put.Ground sheet 3.4 ozPads with velcroReinforced Corner

My ground sheet has 5 tie outs because I'm using it with the Gatewood Cape. There is also a little 2"x4" flap of tyvek at the middle that goes under the heel of my hiking pole to further help secure the sheet.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I like what you did here!

I LOVE it though, when I see people on here adapt something for THEIR specific preferences. Having done so a few times it really feels good to have the "just right" piece of gear to suit.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Thanks Todd. Yeah the elastic tie-outs on the tyvek really work great and add very little weight. I think my tyvek was 3 oz before and is 3.4oz now. I know my exped is heavy at 19oz but it's pretty much bomb proof and I just can't breakdown and fork out the big bucks for a neoair or similar mat so I add the 3/16" evo to it for warmth in the shoulder seasons.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

James,

I love my Gatewood. Curious, though, Not that it adds much weight, but is the rear tie-out needed? I guess it will reduce side shift as you sleep.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

I added the rear tie out and the little flap for the pole handle to rest on because it really does help a lot to stabilize things- I'm a side sleeper and tend to flip sides a few times while I sleep. The gatewood really is a great shelter. After I set it up I crawl inside and in about 30 seconds I've got my ground sheet clipped to all the tie outs and it stays put while I get everything else set up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools