Topic

Wide Brimmed Visor?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wide Brimmed Visor?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was going to try and comment on some previous threads of a similar nature that I had previously posted to but I guess with my new status of just Forum I can not do that. So…

Has anyone really seen a wide brimmed visor that I could combine with a bandana or small towel? All I have seen are the ones below. By wide brimmed I mean something that covers the sides in addition to the front. Supposedly the coolibar one has a top that can be unzipped but still pretty expensive at $35. The foam ones are pretty cheap but for kid's sizes. The Sunday Afternoon ones look nice but is a bit overkill. Thanks.
    http://www.sundayafternoons.com/women/sun-hats/visor-hats/garden-visor.html
    http://www.coolibar.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=155435
    http://www.consumercrafts.com/store/browse/catalog/kids-foamies-foam-visors-and-tiaras/1/40?sw=Visors&o=0&gclid=CISU2aPa_LACFSUbQgodaSSaSw

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I'm wondering if it might be better to make one. The craft foam apparently used for them can be bought in 12×18 size http://shop.hobbylobby.com/crafts-hobbies-and-fabric-crafts/craft-foam/?dimensions=12%22%20x%2018%22

and the coil pictured on the kiddie visors could be obtained from a bracelet-type keychain at the hardware store. That way you could make it as big as you wished.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

My understanding is that cotton does a lousy job as a sunscreen. You may want to do some research on this to determine a good material to use as a 'bandana'.

I use the Sunday Afternoon. It looks pretty ridiculous; I don't care. It does a really good job keeping the sun off my face 360%. I've even checked in a mirror!

I found it informative to really look at other people wearing baseball caps or front visors in the sun. There's not a lot of protection to great areas of their faces. When I've worn a front visor, I felt protected because often my eyes were shaded; my 'feeling' was that I was protected from the sun! (you can't see your own face.)

I figure that you might as well go all in once you decide that you want sun protection.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I do have a Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat but the top of it does not breath well when it is hot out and my scalp sweats because of this. It is also a bit tricky to use inside of a rain jacket hood.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Brett: I wear mine outside of my hood. Sorry if I misunderstood and you were talking about a SA visor.

Yes, the Sunday Afternoon is hotter than some other hats. Again, though, it's made of spf 50(?) (maybe 30?) fabric. It's protecting the top of your head from the sun, as well as your face. That's a trade off I'm willing to make. But I hike cool! Clearly, this doesn't work for you.

I also have a Solumbra shade cap. It has an spf 50. It's cooler than the SA hat. It has a very prominent front brim–4 inches I think. It uses a neck drape. It's great in mosquito season. And it fits under a hood.

Also, Simms makes a terrific visor–four inch front coverage. Excellent rain/snow protection for your eyes.

Sorry if I've gone off topic here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools